Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haig and BBoyz, similar rainbow issues..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haig and BBoyz, similar rainbow issues..

Here's some screenshots from Tribes and GLQuakeWorld that could be helpful in resolving the rainbow textures issue with OGL ICD:

First, Tribes 1.9 with config/ClientPrefs.cs setting $pref::OpenGL::AlwaysRGBA = "True"; (Stronghold demo).

Trippy.

Second, same scene with $pref::OpenGL::AlwaysRGBA = "False";.

Third, GLQuakeWorld 2.33-0005 with r_dynamic 0 and gl_flashblend 1 (overkill.qwd).

Fourth, same with r_dynamic 1 and gl_flashblend 0.

See the pattern? If Tribes is forced using RGBA textures, it renders them with rainbows. And if dynamic lights are enabled in GLQuakeWorld, textures are rendered with rainbows. Maybe GLQuakeWorld renders dynamic lights on RGBA textures?

And here's one last shot from GLQuakeWorld (overkill.qwd with r_dynamic 0 and gl_flashblend 1) which I got when I ran GLQuakeWorld after taking those screenshots from Tribes. I had to reboot to get GLQuakeWorld behave correctly. Maybe the OGL ICD didn't reset itself properly after running Tribes or Tribes did something evil to the ICD.

-Tumu

------------------
    Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.3),
    64MB PC100 RAM, G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM (not overclocked, a fan, bios v2.6),
    PD5.30, SB16 Value, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
    Win95OSR2.1 finnish

[This message has been edited by Tumu (edited 23 October 1999).]
    Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
    64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
    Win98 finnish

I have a similar problem with Quake2. It's very weird, because I have newer heard of anyone one else experiencing this with Q2. It occurs only when coloured light is enabled.

There's a screenshot at http://TRsDomain.homepage.dk/quake_bug.jpg

The same bug is also present in HalfLife.

Torben
    G400 news, info, downloads and mailinglist : http://TRsDomain.homepage.dk

Comment

Up!

I really want to see this fixed.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

First time i saw this fenomen in quake i thought it was realy neat!
        At last i thought quake has turned from being a boring brown to have a litle colors!

------------------
        INTEL PIII450 MSI 6163
        G200Mill 16MB SDRAM
        SBlive
        128 MB RAM
        19GB HDD Space!

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Use the REG Hacks and disable Palettized Textures. This has solved the problem for me.

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Haig, J.B.?
            Any Matrox info on this? Last time I asked, I was told that you couldn't reproduce the problems. Hell, even if you said "it's a problem with the way the games were coded for Glide", I'd feel a <I>little</I> better.

-Wombat
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

it's always hard to tell since this does not ahppen on all systems and with all configurations... even if they look the same... but yes paul is right, disabling Palettized Textures should fix it... for now.

Comment

Hi Tumu !
                I've got the same colors in glQuake.I've allready disabled Palletized Textures but it's still the same. I've tried out r_dynamic 0 and gl_flashblend 1. After I restart glQuake r_dynamic is 1. Can you post the syntax for the shortcut of glQuake.What I mean is something like "E:\QUAKE1\glquake.exe -width 1024 -r_dynamic 0". Is this the right syntax??

------------------
                Celeron 300A@450
                Asus P2B,G400 SH 32MB oc@150\200 128MB Cas2 PC100
                PIII 700@933 on Asus P3B-F, GF2 GTS, 512 MB Infineon

Comment

Marco, if you put the r_dynamic 0 and gl_flashblend 1 commands into your id1/autoexec.cfg then they should be run everytime.

Wombat, GLQuake and GLQuakeWorld have always used OpenGL. 3dfx just made a MiniGL driver for their cards because they didn't have an ICD.

For the palettized textures issue, Tribes doesn't use them with default settings. You'll have to force them with config/ClientPrefs.cs setting $pref::OpenGL::NoPalettedTextures = "false";. And the issue here was that forcing RGBA textures gives the rainbows (not enabling palettized textures).

And as for GLQuake and palettized textures, why PD4.51 ICDb1 didn't produce rainbows? GLQuake was fine and dandy with ICDb1. PD4.51 ICDb2 and _all_ 5.xx-series have produced rainbows with same settings I'm using.

-Tumu

------------------
                  Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.3),
                  64MB PC100 RAM, G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM (not overclocked, a fan, bios v2.6),
                  PD5.30, SB16 Value, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
                  Win95OSR2.1 finnish

Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
                  64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
                  Win98 finnish

Comment

Tumu,

I have always had rainbows since the first beta ICD. I don't know why it doesn't happen for you. I am sure it will be fixed.

Rags

Comment

Hi Tumu !
                      Creating an autoexec.cfg with the commands in it works great.

------------------
                      Celeron 300A@450
                      Asus P2B,G400 SH 32MB oc@150\200 128MB Cas2 PC100
                      PIII 700@933 on Asus P3B-F, GF2 GTS, 512 MB Infineon

Comment

Working...
                      X