Unreal Tourniment on G400 Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Tourniment on G400 Max

Could someone Suggest the Optimal settings for this game? D3D/ OpenGL?

PIII 600
    256 megs of Ram
    SBLive
    Abit BE6
    Seagate 20gig UDMA 66
    G400 Max

I'm using a P3-558 (450 o.c.) with a Max, and, at least for me, I find that 800x600x32bit color, everything high, detail textures off works best. In some maps I can get similar performance with detail textures on, but not in all. I'd recommend trying it with them on since you have a P3-600. If you notice unacceptable performance, turn the detail textures off. Note that these settings are using the 348 Demo, not the released game (still waiting for my copy of that to arrive in the mail).

------------------
    Ace
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Forgot to mention 1 other thing you asked about- use D3D, not OpenGL. The turboGL offers improved performance in UT for me over the standard ICD, but it still exhibits too many pauses and stutters to be really playable. D3D offers nearly as good an image (finally) as OpenGL, but without all the stuttering. Note that there are still some minor annoyances that need ironed out in D3D (either in the drivers or in the game, not sure which yet), but they're so minor as to be livable for the moment. They mostly involve texture handling and/or z-buffer popping (textures on objects in the background bleed through things in front of them at times).

------------------
      Ace

System specs:
      Gainward Ti4600

Comment

Hey Ace YOU ROCK!!!!!! Thank you so much. I tried 800x600, and it defaulted to a window?
        How do i get it full screen?

Comment

Ussaly the windowed mode means that something isnt right with the hardware. Maybe reinstall drivers?

------------------
          </list>
          PIII 450 @ 464
          generic BX6 motherboard
          G400 MAX : )
          Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
          Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
          Creative 36x CD-ROM
          HP 2x2x6x CD-RW
          64 megs PC100 RAM
          Intel 10/100
          Soundblaster 32 AWE
          DiamondMAX 56k
          Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
          4 large fans.

Comment

I had the same problem as you. UT would only run in windowed mode. That's because UT didn't detect my G400 and therefore chose to run in software mode. Installing DirectX 7.0 did however solve that problem.

In case you already have DirectX 7.0 installed, try reinstalling it and see if it works!!!

Good luck..
            Brian
            MY COMPUTER SPECS:
            Intel P3-550MHz
            256MB RAM
            36GB Disk Capacity
            Marvel G400
            And a nice roomy 19"!!!
            And a quite comfortable "Logitech Mouseman Wheel" mouse

Comment

I'm running a K6-300 with a MAX. Nothing is o/c'd and UT (demo) runs just great at 1024X768X32+ just fine. It looks great. Why are you guys having trouble running it and I'm not? I seem to have the slowest system here...

AMD K6-300
              196 megs RAM
              G400 MAX
              20 gig Maxtor
              6 gig Maxtor
              Creative Ensonique Audio PCI
              19" monitor

Oh, and I can't even run it with busmastering enabled... Imagine it then...
              "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
              --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Thanks for the compliments Bonkster. Now about that Windowed thing- could be a problem, or, it could just be that it's set to start up in a window by default (I like mine this way, too- I just resize the game window to fill the area not including my task bar, that way I can watch for ICQ messages from friends while I play).

Anyhow, make sure you have DX7 installed, like the others suggested. If you do have to install it, I recommend that afterwards you uninstall and reinstall UT. A friend of mine had this problem with a TNT2U, and that solved the problem for him. (Also shows that this isn't a Matrox G400 driver problem)

If you have DX7 installed, try clicking on the Minimize-to-Window/Maximize button on the upper right edge of the UT window (looks like a game drawn version of the standard Win98 button). I used that for a while to go back and forth between windowed and fullscreen mode, til I found out that I could make the game start one way or the other by default. If you're interested in that, go to the console (hit the '~' key), type "preferences", without the quotes. Now, here's where you need to look around a bit- find the line for startup windowed (or startup fullscreen??) under rendering options or display settings.. something along those lines (you'll know it when you see it, trust me). Just change the value of the entry to control how UT starts up.

BTW- one really COOL thing about this game, it fits the game display into whatever size window you create, even if it's wider or narrower than the normal display's ratio (4:3, maybe??). What I mean is this- since I have my start menu bar at the bottom, but nothing on the sides, I tend to fit have slightly more than a 4:3 ratio (say 4:2.88) of width to height. The game adjusts itseld, and I ended up with a WIDER field of view, while losing nothing for the overall height (I can still see the same amount of feet in the vertical direction in one frame).

Anyway, good luck, and sorry for the rambling. This game with this card jus gets me all worked up (just ask Azash next time you see him).

------------------
                Ace

System specs:
                Gainward Ti4600

Comment

I dont play UT online, just have fun with bots.

I use 1280x1024@16bit with medium details.. and the pic is GREAT, UT is so fast paced that you cant see the most detailled game over mid detail when using bigger resolution. But thats just me, I WOULD like to use 32bit HIGH detail, but 300A@450 celeron just wont do that in 1280x1024. =)

Pe-Te

Comment

At 1280x32/HD you're pretty much fill rate/memory limited, so a CPU upgrade will not do you much good there.
                    P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Working...
                    X