Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win 98 + Temporary Stupidity = HELP ME :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing to try is to go into the network properties, select the nic and check properties. Change all the auto-detect settings to manual configurations.

Speed Auto 10/100 - select the right one.
    Duplex Auto Half/Full - Select the right one.
    PCI Slot - Enter the proper value.
    PCI Bus - Enter the proper value (use Matrox's PCI-Spy to give you the numbers)
    Connection Auto UTP/Coax/UDP - Select the right entry.

Most delays during boot with a network card installed are due to the NIC trying to auto-configure itself for your network. If you choose the right values, it improves your boot time.

My system with auto-detect - 30 Second boot.
    My system with manual set - 10 second boot.

Guyv

------------------
    ABit BE6, PIII-450 OC'd 600Mhz. 128MB PC133HSDRAM, 2.0V, 41C, Matrox Millenium G400 MAX, Adaptec 2940U2W, Quantum Atlas 10K 160/m 18.1GB, Quantum Atlas II 4.5GB, Kenwood UCR-415 True-X 52X SCSI, Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8582, Memorex CRW-2642 CDRW, Iomega 100MB Zip ATAPI, 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy, 3Com/USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro, HP DeskJet 895CXi, Creative/Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500 5.1 Digital Surround System, Logitech Marble FX, Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (with 2 Port USB Hub)...

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

oof, Guyver
      you smarty pants. Going to try that immmediatly when I'm home
      THNX!!!

really!
      In case it's a harware problem:
      PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
      Win2K drivers: 5.52

Comment

Welcome!
        Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
        - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
        - 6.1 Digital Audio
        - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
        - LS120 IDE Floppy
        - Zip 100 IDE
        - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
        - NEC FE950

Comment

Hey, I'll try manually setting it up, but first, do me a favor and let me know where I can get that PCI-Spy program from. I tried looking on Matrox like you said, but I didn't see it. Thanks
          "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
          --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Here you go....
            http://www.matrox.com/mga/drivers/files/ftp_util2.htm

About 2/3 of the way down the page or so.

Guyver
            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
            - 6.1 Digital Audio
            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
            - LS120 IDE Floppy
            - Zip 100 IDE
            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
            - NEC FE950

Comment

hehehe, thanks. I'm blind as a bat. Umm, sorry, but first of all, I can't get the program to work and second of all, when I got to my NIC properties, I don't have any of those options, except the network type (ie. TP_10 + full duplex). Now who's the stupid one, me or my computer...

[This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 07 December 1999).]
              "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
              --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Welcome!

Guyv
                Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                - 6.1 Digital Audio
                - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                - LS120 IDE Floppy
                - Zip 100 IDE
                - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                - NEC FE950

Comment

Ok Guyver, how do I get the program to work? Also, how do I get to the properties you told me to go to. I went network neighborhood -> NIC properties -> Advanced but there was nothing like you said there. Only where I set the 10+full duplex. Am I missing something? And setting this didn't seem to make much difference.

[This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 07 December 1999).]
                  --- Albert Einstein

Comment

anyone?
                    --- Albert Einstein

Comment

If your motherboard has 4 or less PCI slots then you can pretty much guarantee that the card is in bus 0. If you know how your PCI slots are counted - left to right or right to left, you can use that number in place of running pcispy. I use it primarily in systems with more than 4 pci sockets, as well as a slew of integrated pci peripherals.

Otherwise, pcispy needs to run in a purely dos mode. There is an option for query which will list the pci components, what bus they are in, and what slot.

The network advanced options will vary from card to card, but with my 3Com 3c905B I had the ability to set all the parameters that I listed. If your's does not list them, you might try looking for the latest driver for that card, it may give you more options.

If it doesn't you could always try a different network card that does.

Hope this helps.

Guyver
                      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                      - 6.1 Digital Audio
                      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                      - LS120 IDE Floppy
                      - Zip 100 IDE
                      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                      - NEC FE950

Comment

I had a similiar problem with another Linksys NIC, I went nuts with IRQ's and slots, only to find the problem was a corrupted driver. I went to the Linksys site (http://www.linksys.com/scripts/dlc.asp) and downloaded new drivers, uninstalled the old drivers and finally installed the new ones. Boot time went from 1 minute plus down to about 20 seconds. The other thing I would recommend is that you remove all protocols and services you don't need. I run TCP/IP for internet connectivity and NetBEUI over my LAN. It worked for me.

------------------
                        Asus P3B-F1, PIII 600B, 128Mb PC133 RAM, 18.2 KA drive, HP CDRW & Travan drive, SB64PCI, Intel EPro+ PnP NIC, G400.
                        Nothing sadder than seeing a beautiful theory getting slammed by an ugly fact!

Comment

Working...
                        X