Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Agent31 or other Pentium 3 500 OC'r with a Max

Agent31,
    I noticed on your BH-6 memorial post (I feel your pain) that you are at 2.1v at 560mhz. How would I know when voltage is insufficient? And would it affect performance of my Max (seeing that Max loves P3's) indirectly? I'm at the "normal" 2.0v for my P3 500 @ 550 mhz & 560 mhz (BE-6), should I increase it? Any help would be appreciated.

Set the voltage only as high as needed to provide stability.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Odds are, you can run the PIII 500 at 560 MHz at 2.0 volts without a problem. If your having problems (not being able to post or boot into Windows), a voltage increase might help.

This is not an exact science. If you run into stability problems, try bumping up the voltage in small increments, and see if that helps. There are other factors to worry about as well. Heat, your AGP board and PCI devices, etc.

You're not really getting into an extreme overclocking situation with a 112 MHz front side bus and a PIII. As Greebe pointed out, there's no need to mess with the voltage if everything is stable.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Thanks Guys !!
        I haven't had any problems, just want to be safe. I've had my memory pretty high (124 mhz) and it's rock solid. I have a PC Power & Cooling case with a Turbo-Cool 350 and 3 case fans. Also their Bay-Cool drive cooler with an extra 2 fans in it. My system has been on all day and....let's see what Mobo Monitor say's..Sensor 1 (Cpu)= 27.0c 80.6f and Sensor 2 (mobo)= 38.0c 100.4f

I think that's pretty decent. I DO have another UDMA-66 7200 rpm drive in there that's not cooled directly. For that reason I'm thinking about a 3DCool slot fan to exhaust and another Bay-Cool. The crappy thing is I've had the P3 REALLY high but then the PC-100 ram (256 mb) goes haywire. It's amazing how this G400 Max loves high AGP bus speeds, when I read it I thought "I'll believe it when I see it". Proved my doubt was unwarranted.

How about some of that new PC-266 Ram there experimenting with ? MMMMMM tasty (and all for the low, low price of 1 billion dollars). I love my system but I can't help but wish I could build another one with PC-133 on a new AGP 4x mobo, with SCSI everything and...must....stop....drooling

Comment

Now stop that drooling or you'll short something out!

Next upto bat... ALBPM

------------------
          Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.
          Anyone up for an Eclipse'd Athlon? Email me (epc@netdirect.net) for more information

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency
          CPUmark99 75
          FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Your system looks like it could go higher. What kind of cooling are you using on your P3??? Get an Alpha P3125 and you will be able to up the voltage to 2.3 if needed. Looks like you got a great overclocker there

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Paul,
              I've got a retail P3, complete with itty, bitty fan. In it's defense though, it seems I've got about the lowest temp @ 550 that I have chatted up with others. Right now it's only been on about an hour and it's at 21.5c 70.7f. And that's with the probe right in the hottest vanes of the heatsink. How do I remove the OEM fan without destroying my P3? How much cooler can it go with an Alpha?
              What about my pc-100 ram? Once I go above 124 mhz it shuts down.
              I've read a couple of articles on the P3125 not working on BE-6 mobo's. Any feedback on that? I appreciate your suggestions.

And Greebe....Wow, THAT'S FAST!!!!
              How's your Matrox like it?
              P/S I'm an AZZO fan too

Comment

I've got a P3 500, running at 560 with a Global Win cooler, It'll run at 667 but the level 2 cache won't
                My system runs smoothly at 667, if I disable level 2 cache, but this isn't much fun at all.

I've been thinking about level 2 cache spacers, does anyone have experiences they want to share ?
                "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

exG-man, here's a link to an article on removing the original heatsink/fan using the case screw techinique.
                  http://www.thetechzone.com/articles/...ink_remove.htm
                  This will remove the heatsink/fan and the backplate all at once. Do not try to pull the pins out with pliers because they are made out of extremely brittle plastic and will break.
                  If you use the "case screw technique"carefully it will not damage anything and should be able to reassemble everything if needed.

For your memory. At speeds over 124FSB set it to CAS 3 if you haven't already.

Also your L2 cache setting may need to be adjusted. The default for P3-450 and P3-500 is 8. If you have this set to "default" try setting it to the number "8". At "9" you disable the L2 cache and will take a performance hit so you don't want to set it above "8".

Paul

------------------
                  P3-700 @ 868MHz, ABIT BE6, 256MB PC100, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub, IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW,
                  SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98
                  all in a Addtronics 7896A case and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 14 January 2000).]
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                  X