No announcement yet.

OpenGL games crashing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that it really helps you to know this, but the same thing happens to me when I overclock my processor further than it can handle it. As someone mentioned try upping the voltage a bit, or maybe try a diff. processor in your board if you have access to one.

Comment

jtracy,

I worked at a hardware shop and chipsets ALI and VIA mobo's had a lot of issues with the correct voltage for (AGP) videocards. This gave a lot weird probs. What I recommend is this: try your vidcard at a friend with another mobo chipset and you'll see the Matrox card is fine. If that's so you have 2 options: 1 change your mobo...expensive. 2 Try another power supply . Maybe you can try configuration in another case(maybe you have a good friend?)

Another thing that might track voltage problems is a proggie like motherboard monitor.

In my experience matrox cards consume a bit more power than other cards and the AGP port is a (power)sensitive port. Geforce card have the same issues with some chipsets(also voltage probs)

I wish you the best luck...

------------------
      What I like about computing?2 much 2 mention
      What I like about computing?2 much 2 mention

Comment

Well, I tried ditching the 32meg chip and setting arpeture to 64, along with a double swap. It doen't seem to help, but I'll try different swap and arpeture setings.

Strider: Yes, it dumps me to 640x480 16bit when it quits on me in SS2; I usually start at 1024x768 32bit. My AGP arpetute is at 64 now, and it doesn't seem to help on any games. Thanks for the hint anyway.

Punk: thanks for your suggestion, that is something that hasn't come up yet. My voltage settings are straight out of what the motherboard manual said to set it at for this processor. Unfortunately, my friends aren't really into computers, so there's no computers I can pop this into. And my 2 other computers' power supplies are probably no beter than this one, but I'll try those anyway. And I'll see what I can do about voltage, I guess I can take it a notch up or down.
        My hardware:

Matrox Millenium G400 16mb
        Asus P5a-b super socket7 motherboard
        K6-2 300 processor
        128mb pc-100 SDRAM

My software:

Matrox bios version 1.3
        Matrox drivers 5.41
        TurboGL 1.0002
        Motherboard bios version 1009b1
        Directx version 7a
        Windows version 98SE

Comment

Oh, and I'll be sure to check out Motherboard Monitor. That will hopefully pinpoint things a bit.
          My hardware:

K6-2 300 processor
          128mb pc-100 SDRAM

My software:

Matrox bios version 1.3
          Matrox drivers 5.41
          TurboGL 1.0002
          Directx version 7a
          Windows version 98SE

Comment

Oh, and I'll be sure to check out Motherboard Monitor. That will hopefully pinpoint things a bit.
            My hardware:

K6-2 300 processor
            128mb pc-100 SDRAM

My software:

Matrox bios version 1.3
            Matrox drivers 5.41
            TurboGL 1.0002
            Directx version 7a
            Windows version 98SE