Yet another AGP question :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another AGP question :-)

I know that all the MURcers are probably fed up with mindless AGP questions, but i've come accross something a little unusual.

When i set the G400 to AGPx2 and run Quake3, i get a huge variance in FPS. ie. one second, 50+FPS, the next second, 10-15FPS. As you can imagine this makes the game pretty much unplayable.

I'm not too stressed, because in AGPx1 it works like a dream, but i'd like to know if anyone has come across this problem before or know of a possible fix. Is AGPx2 preferable to AGPx1 and if so, why?

Cheers,

Giskard

System:
    P3 500E@667 on an Abit bh6 rev 1.0 mobo.
    128 mb PC133 Ram
    16mb G400 with pd5.41 & turbo gl

I notice you're running your FSB at 133 MHz. That means your AGP card, at a 2:3 ratio with the front side bus, is running at 89 MHz. That's pretty extreme. Most boards fail when overclocked like this. The G400 is a bit more tolerant of high bus speeds, but it does seem to prefer AGP 1x when pushed to extremes.

If you were running at spec, I'd be a bit more concerned, but I suspect you're having a (very minor) overclocking issue. Whatever you're losing at AGP 1x, and it isn't much, you make up for many times over by running your CPU at 667 MHz as opposed to 500.

Good job on the overlclock, by the way.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

Giskard

Comment

MY BP6 running at 100mhz but g400 at 1x agp, any idea why 1x with standard bus speed at 2/3, i double checked bios settings.

Comment

btw, i brought this up is because Matrox advertise this card to be agp 4x, while it can actually run at agp 1x (for me at least) and now you need 4A on your serial number to run at 4x. I think this is kind of cheating or false advertising, tho I don't really mind the difference and poeple here trying to picture it as no big deal. But to be honest, if you let Matrox get away with bad marketing and trading practice, we are actually encourage them to get worse. No wonder fewer and fewer retail shops here in Toronto are not willing to carry Matrox products.

Comment

Working...
          X