Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 locks up

Hi,

I have the G400 MAX for almost 5-6 months.
    Al worked fine with sometimes a lockup, screen freeses and sound in a loop.
    Only hard reset worked. But i didnt mind.

But recently it began more often to lockup.
    Now i cant play any game (especialy Half-Life - Counter Strike) without a lockup.
    The funny part is when i uninstall the SB Live there are no lockups.
    But when i install an other soundcard (Diamond Sonic S90 ) the lockup happens again. So no sound no lockup. ????

I installed all the latest drivers from everything (G400 ,SB live,Sonic ,Mobo).
    Tried also to change from AGPx2 to AGPx1,
    Busmastering off, AGP 128 Mb,
    16-bit and 32-bit color.
    And there are no irq conflicts.
    The first and the last PCI-slots are free.

What else can i do ?

My system :
    G400 MAX (5.30 + Turbogl 1.0 + bios 1.04)
    mobo : via tech KX133 VT82C686A (4in1 4.18a)
    P3 500 (not overclocked)
    128 Mb
    SB Live Value (livewire 3.0 + updates)
    Win98
    3com NIC (3C905B-TX)

You might try visiting 3com's web site, and getting the "basic" drivers for your NIC. There are some known issues with certain 3com "full" drivers.

I am also running a Live! and a 905b-tx (liveware3, basic 3com drivers) without the lockups...

------------------
    P2-450(112*4.5=504), Asus P2B (1010), 128meg pc100, MillenniumG400 32meg DH (5.??), 3com 3c905b-tx, SB Live!value, Dual USR 56k Sporsters, WD 8.4&6.4 UDMA, CL PC-DVD, Mitsumi CD-RW
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I think you should turn busmastering back on while you're trying to fix your problem. Turning it off should be viewed only as a diagnostic tool. It is not an acceptable solution to anything.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Loser: I had (actually still have somewhat) almost exactly the same problem as you. Also, my system is similar to your's except mobo is Abit BE6 and NIC is some cheap $15 card (Rieltek - I think).
        Really the only game I had problems with was Half-Life. I tried everything you tried as well, also with no luck. I'm certain it has something to do with "CD Music". Lockups occur at the same spots -- when the game requests the "atmosphere music" from the CD.
        Does this happen to you? If so, the only thing I haven't tried yet, which may be the cause is to check where the CD ROM is plugged into your sound board (I have SB LiveValue OEM and a Kenwood 52X CDROM). I understand there are two choices -- a good one and a bad one. I don't remember which is which, but I plan to take a look and experiment.
        In the mean time, my compromise has been to disable CD Music in Half-Life and download the "NO CD" patch from Copyworld website. Until I got rid of the CD completely, I still would get a 2 or 3 second hesitation at those same spots -- even with CD music disabled. Now it run without any hesitation or lockups -- just no atmosphere music.
        My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Nope, the new drivers for the 3com didnt work.
          Now he locksup like the old times.
          Sometimes.
          But its still annoying.
          Kruzin, you have no problems ?
          Maybe its Mobo related.
          Damn, i like this card. Not fast BUT beauty is important.
          So if you have any ideas let me know.

Comment

i have the same lockups but seem to be limited to OpenGl..try D3D

Comment

Working...
            X