No announcement yet.

Quake 3 on a 56K modem sucks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Tumu you are right about my isp. But if even I would go there.. nothing will change... only thing is to change provider, but this could be problem for online quake2, because I am playing on my provider's server. So I am getting very good ping, with another provider I ll get much much worse ping. (I tryed it) The thing is as I understanded, ip adress of q2 server is 200.42.0.119 and I am getting ips in range 200.42.25.1 - 200.42.29.255, the more far my ip adress the more "hops" (computers between you and server) you get, and out of this you get more ping. This is as I know.
    SVS RUSSIAN

Comment

Well, I've spent the last week trying dozens upon dozens of connects during different times of the day and night, switching between V.90 and V.34+, varying MTU/RWIN size, and w/ or w/o hardware compression, capturing diagnostic screens with each session and I've come to one conclusion ...

<font size=5><center>Quake 3 on a 56K modem sucks!</font></center>

I believe the only way you can achieve good Q3 on-line gaming is if you have excessive bandwidth (e.g. DSL, cable modem) or you're using a 56K modem and everything is running perfectly, including your ISP. I've tried to control as much as I can on my PC when running these tests and I reaffirm my original hypothesis in that my lag fluctuations are due to congestion in my ISP. I can get wildly different results with the identical setup depending on when I make the connection and even during a connection to an empty server. All of this com tweaking doesn't mean squat if the problem is within your ISP. I think I'm faced with now finding an ISP that caters to on-line gaming users or more likely, install another DSL line and quit trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Signed, Tired and Disgusted.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 07 February 2000).]
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
      X