Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win2k + g400 + Unreal T = ?

hi,

i bought a amd k7 700 and a biostar board running a matrox g400 on it.
    as my win98se installation died tragically under the process i thought that may be the right time to switch finally completly on win2k.

i got the new 503 driver i tweaked with that mgatweak all what i could, but i have 2 big problems:

1. if i start the game 1024x768 under 16 or 32 bit colors it doesnt uses the desktop refresh rate of 85hz. it uses something like 75 or 70. dont know exactly but it flickers how can i get the default refresh rate for uo ? under win98se it always used desktop refresh rate when it switched to fullscreen.

2. although the game runs fast its not as smooth as in win98se. i guess with "stat fps" in UT you get the fps right? im not so sure cause sometimes it drops under 20 somtimes its as 50 but even at under 20 it runs fast not like im used when i see 14 fps in saying drakan.
    well to recapitulate i just dont have the impression that the game runs soft and smooth. how to explain, it looks like not all would be at same timing. while also under win98se surely you get sometimes some passages where you are faster and than a little slower all changes are softer.
    i wouldnt get the 3d "illness" under win98 but i get sick after playing a little under win2k.

so how do you gurus change make the g400 under win2k running soft with 3d games especially UT ?
    what are the settings ?
    and what is the cache size parameter in unrealtournament.ini does it refers to graphical cache size in graph memory or in system memory?

help

Ok.

If you're playing Unreal with Direct3D, you must do the following:

1) Bring down the console
    2) Type "preferences", then, of course, <Enter>
    3) Look for "Direct3D support"
    4) There, you'll find "Use VSYNC" - Set it to "TRUE" (it's "FALSE" by default)
    5) Go back, and restart the game

However, Unreal can't manage the VSYNC under OpenGL. OpenGL runs always with VSYNC disabled.

Good luck.

Comment

Uh well...

2) ...Type "Preferences", then hit "Enter"...

Comment

thanks ! that made it smoother.
        also with visiting the web page discussed some messages down (from that UT guy that posted tips on maxG400 and tuning ut generally, UT runs AWESOME under win2k.

i have nearly constant 55-60 FPS at 1024x768x32.
        i dont know exactly how the author had that bad results. maybe cause he used a celeron or something which doesnt ahs SEE or 3dnow.

also i noticed that what was between 20 and 10 wasnt the framerate.. actually i found the way to see the "real FPS " we were talking about
        stat fps shows other information. (the ms between every F if i am right, so that would explain why running detailedtextures=on would give around 400 when going close to it, when the framerate goes really down (thats why it shouldnt use with g400 in UT)

also the tip with start /HIGH c:\games\ut\unrealt...exe is cool. works also under win2k.

the only big problem i still have is that it uses 75HZ when switching to fullscreen. i guess thats cause the monitor things arent yet included in powerdesk.
        i think if someone figures where in the registry the parameters are listed we could remove the lower refresh rates supported by the monitor as it seems to use than the lowest. (which is for me 75, for others 60 as i read here)

Comment

also one thing.. how do you figure if it runs under win2k in agp 1 or 2 mode ?
          how do you check that ?
          havent found anywhere

you dont need a miniport driver for the AMD irongate udner win2k, do you ?

Comment

Where exactly can I find this list of "tweaks" for UT for the G400MAX??

THNX

Comment

here:
              http://www.planetunreal.com/inoxx/

you find there a lot of benchmarking (although as i said he has much lower FPS in his results than me) but the list of tweakings for u..t.cfg is very cool !

(its somewhere under Tweaking UT

Comment

You can set the refresh rate for all DirectX applications (both DirectVideo and Direct3D) with DXDIAG.

Just Start -> Run -> dxdiag.exe

There is a tab called "More Help" or Troubleshooting or something like that with an override refresh rate button.

Comment

Working...
                X