No announcement yet.

Win2000 good for gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason you are having trouble with your athlon system and not the ss7 system is because of the release dates of the assorted products. RC2 was released(if I recall correctly) towards the end of last summer. The Athlon and the first Athlon motherboards weren't released until after RC2 was already out there. Thus, RC2 did not have support for the AMD 750 chipset. Nor does it have support(obviously) for the KX133 chipset.

Meanwhile, the K6-X and motherboards for said chip have been around for a while, and so it follows that everything should work fine. The final release of 2000 however does have support for the Athlon, and many people have reported success with 2000. So with luck installation should go smoothly for you.
    Primary System:
    MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
    120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
    Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
    Seccondary System:
    Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
    3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
    Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
    Tertiary system
    Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
    Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Overall, I think that win2k is an awesome OS, by far the best I've used. It is stable (not that win98 wasn't for me), it handles multitasking with more grace than win9x, it runs 99percent of my apps, it runs all the games I care to play (HL/TFC, Q3A, and UT) just fine, it has far more control over the OS than win9x, and it is easier to secure on the internet than win9x. So, it all depends on what it is you do. If you play a multitude of games, then win2k probably isn't the answer at this time. If you have a few games you like to run, it depends on what they are, most likely win2k will work. It also depends on your hardware. If you are running a shady motherboard, expect problems. If you are overclocking and have cheap memory, expect problems. If you are running dual processors, at this time you can expect problems with various drivers. None of those negatives affect me at this time so, for the most part, I run win2k all of the time. I hope that MS and hw mfrs continues to strive for compatibility and stability for win2k, because the basics are there, we just need polishing of what it does support, and continued development for what it doesn't....only time will tell.

Rags

Comment

Another thing to remember: Win2k (and NT, for that matter) don't seem to be as overclockable as 95/98. I'm sure someone here knows why, but I don't feel I know it well enough to try to explain.

Jon
        My baby...

QDI Brilliant IV - Bios 2.0 Beta (Win2000 updates - email me if you want it!)
        2 Pentium III 500 MHz
        256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
        Matrox Millenium G200 8 MB SGRAM - Bios 2.6-20
        2 Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI...)
        Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!
        Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
        Quantum Viking 4.5 GB UW SCSI (weak...)
        Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 2X
        Iomega 1GB Jazz

All running on Win2000...

Comment

noackjr,

I believe the reason for this is because win2k is NOT tolerant of memory errors, where win9x just doesn't care, until everything is all corrupt.

Rags

Comment

Anyone notice that the specs for the X-Box show it is built around W2k? People claiming that W2k is not suitable for gaming can now remove their feet from their mouth.

Paul

Comment

If you are happy with Win98 then don't bother upgrading to W2k - I have done and prefer it but it wasn't really worth it for the gaming side.

More serious apps run better (and for longer ) and networking seems faster as well. Win98 is a very good and fast gaming OS and will probably beat NT even with DX7.

I have sadly lost ACPI support though (My W2k machine has a SuperMicro P6SBA m/b - can anybody help? With Win98 I had to add command line parameters to the setup program)

As for the X-Box confirming W2k as a gaming OS I am not convinced - it may be good then (end of 2001) but for now it is not ready. At least Microsoft and nVidia will be able to fully test it with all types and combinations of hardware - all one combinations that is

Paul.

Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Have Win2K Pro and Adv. Server.
                Plays the games that i normally play with no problem. Actually even better and faster. For some reason Starcraft and Q3 runs faster. Don't know why. When I have games that don't run, I just swap the hard drives with the removable drive bay I have installed, and boot 98SE. Nobody can be that lazy to reboot.

G400 32mb MAX DH
                Abit BP6 Dual Celeron 366@550
                Voodoo2 with hacked win2k drivers
                Hollwood + dvd decoder
                20.5 GB IBM HD Win2K Pro Swap Drive
                9.1 GB IBM Hd Win2K Adv. Server Swap Drive
                10.0 GB IBM HD Win98SE Swap Drive
                SBLive! Platinum.
                Netgear 310TX 10/100 Ethernet card
                Cable Modem connection. ( I hated the DSL)

Abit BP6 Dual Celeron 366@550
                256MB PC-100 RAM
                G400 32mb MAX DH Mode
                Voodoo2 with hacked win2k drivers
                Hollwood + dvd decoder
                20.5 GB IBM HD Win2K Pro Swap Drive
                9.1 GB IBM Hd Win2K Adv. Server Swap Drive
                10.0 GB IBM HD Win98SE Swap Drive
                20.5 GB IBM Internal Seconday Drive for file storage.
                Toshiba SR-8485 6X DVD-Rom
                HP 7200i CD-RW
                SBLive! Platinum.
                Netgear 310TX 10/100
                Ethernet card
                Cable Modem connection. (I hated the DSL 384k dl. I hit 350k average day when everone is on, and 625 at night EVERY day with cable modem! Slowest I've gotten on very busy time is 160K.)

Comment

Just to put in my 2 cents worth... Whoever mentioned NT-5 was spot-on. That's exactally what it is. (I was on the beta - anyone want to buy a zillion Win X developer CD's? No? Didn't think so! <grin>) Well into the development cycle, MS knew that trying to kill Win 98 wouldn't work. Win 2000 really likes newer, faster hardware. Don't forget that they still want to sell products like Office 2000 as well, so they don't want to kill the cash cows.

As far as games are concerned, let's not forget that companies develop for the Win 98 platform, and they have a (bad or good) habit of exploiting OS's to get the best performance. So, will Win 2000 be a good gaming platform? Maybe, but not right now.

Just my 2 cents worth
                  -Jimmy G

Comment

I have found that the only game that I have had problems in Win2k is Half Life:Team Fortress. Everything else runs great. I like the memory management in Win2k and the way it handles processing. I also LOVE the fact that if an app crashes, I don't have to reboot my whole machine. So far, I have been running the final release for over two months now and have been happy with Win2k as a gaming platform.

------------------
                    System:
                    Addtronics 6890a tower
                    Abit VA6
                    P3-500e@750mhz
                    256MB Crucial PC133 SDRAM
                    Adaptec 2940U2W Controller
                    2-9GB Seagate Cheetah 10K RPM U2W Drives
                    SB Live X-Gamer
                    3COM 10/100 Nic
                    Plextor Plexwriter 8/2/20 (SCSI)
                    Kenwood True 52x (SCSI)