Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Is there a way to increase the video buffer amount in FreeSpace2 and UT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Is there a way to increase the video buffer amount in FreeSpace2 and UT?

Hey,

just a simple question. Is the aforementioned possible, and if so how do you go about it? I've heard something about going into Console mode for UT to adjust this setting, but I can't even get into that (or at least I don't think I'm getting into it). Any and all help much appreciated.

I'm not sure if you mean using triple rather than double buffering here (kick me if I'm wrong), but fot UT you can check it's using triple buffering:
    Look in the \UnrealTournament\System\ folder for 'UnrealTournament.ini' file. Open it and go down to the '[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]' section. There should be a line here that says 'UseTripleBuffering=True'. If it says false, change it to true (back up the file beforehand, just in case).

Comment

To get into the console, you simply need to press the ~ key (should be on the left side of the 1): thís should work everywhere in the game, even in the video at the start.

If you are in the console, just type preferences This leads you to the enhanced preferences window.
      (And now i'm lost, as i can't remember here at work, where the exact location of the buffer is; i believe it's somewhere under Rendering, but this may be wrong )

Rakido
      "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

I've never been able to bring down the UT console using the Tilde (~). Is this because I have a UK keyboard? (Tilde is in a different location).
        Is there a way to bind a different key to enable the console? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Rik, on <ahum>normal 101 keyboards, the tilde is to the left of the key 1/! on the keyboard. You might need to press exactly that same key

Jorden.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Try the "`" key, that is the actual key to press for the preferences, not the tilde key.

Comment

Thanks for the help. But I'm still in the dark about FreeSpace 2, is there a way to increase the buffer size for it as well, or am i just chasing after nothing here? I was just hoping that I might've seen a performance difference when stepping up from 192MB to 256. Don't get me wrong, the game runs fine, I'd just like to see it better; maybe I'm just wishing for too much

Comment

Thank you Jorden and Hunslow,
                In the end I found that my console problem was indeed due to having a UK english keyboard set-up. The key I needed was over to the right, near to the carriage return key. Two nations united by language and divided by keyboards, eh?
                (Sorry for hi-jacking your thread wenDigo!)

Comment

Working...
                X