ut freezes after 10min. of play on win2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ut freezes after 10min. of play on win2k

i play UT for around 10 min. and it just freezes w/ no errors..and i would have to restart my.pc to use it again

system

win2k
    g400 (no overclock) newest win2k drivers
    dual celeron 366
    (no overclock, why not? cause its unstable right now..ill get it to overclock when i get my new case, and fan)

128mb ram pc100

and g400 is on irq 5? how do i change the irq on win2k?

even thou..366 seems a bit slow for ut i find it faster (maybe cause i doubled my ram)
    than 550mhz(it used to be overclocked when i use to use 1 cpu)
    any tips?

[This message has been edited by blades (edited 21 March 2000).]

blades,

i have 2 suggestions;

1) boot up on one processor...copy the line in your boot.ini file that starts win2k and change the /fastdetect to /numproc=1, paste it underneath the first line. this will create another menu item to select. it's a good idea to differentiate the lines by changing the text within the quotation marks to suit your needs.

2) make sure you have the 32 bit z buffer option checked if your trying to use a 32 bit color depth in unreal...and try setting your desktop to 16 bit.

that's it...i'm out of ideas!

chucky

Comment

yet another sucker that bought into this combination... sigh...

here we go blades....

I've been telling Matrox for several months now that the Windows 2000 drivers don't work with SMP machines. Matrox after several months of bickering has finally admitted to this SEVERE problem. You and everyone else with a dual processor machine is having problems... it is NOT caused by any of these factors:

1. overclocking
      2. Windows 2000 errors
      3. overheating
      4. bad ram
      5. IRQ settings
      6. Any other dumbass thing that someone would suggest

It is however an issue with bus mastering on SMP machines. For a temp. fix you can disable the bus mastering in the display options. Only problem you'll notice with this now is that your games play like a "slide show" i.e. the fps is hit so dramatically that it's not even playable.

The best option for you is to either return the matrox card (the new 3.81 drivers for the geforce do smp flawlessly) or to take one processor and hobble along on that with a fresh install of windows until next YEAR when Matrox finally fixes the problem (NT4 drivers still don't work either ). Given that it took Matrox several months to recognize the problem, I would imagine that returning the card would be your best option since Matrox seems not to be concerned with the issue.

On a sidenote... UT only works in OGL in NT4 because D3D was never issued in DX 3. If you think you're going to be slick and use that... it's not going to work either... Matrox is STILL having problems with SMP in the NT4 drivers. These drivers seem to have the same problem. Quake 3 doesn't work in dual either, because it has weird numbers and letter on the background when you start it up for the first time on a clean install. sigh...

Don't get me wrong... this is a great piece of hardware, but if you're thinking about doing anything with SMP, NT4, or Windows 2000, I suggest you move to a different card... because these problems will NEVER be solved. I was forced to buy into a Leadtek DDR and will be selling my G400 this week on ebay for a great loss.

What you need to do right now is decide which is more important... the games or the general use of the computer (surfing, email, office, etc). If the games are most important, take one processor out and use 98... otherwise if the games aren't that important, stick with 2000 and be forced to be without the games. Meanwhile, I would suggest looking at a different card, because as I said before, this problem is not very likely to be fixed... at least anytime soon.

------------------
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      Travis L. Knodel
      ICQ 5570732

Abit BP6
      Dual Celeron 366@523 Mhz
      Matrox G400 16MB SH
      IBM ATA66 15.2 GB HD w/ 2MB cache
      WD UDMA33 4.3 GB POS HD
      Acer 40X CD Rom
      Memorex 1622 2x2x6 CD-RW
      Internal NEC Zip100
      Netgear 10/100 Ethernet
      Diamond Monster Sound MX300
      Altec Lansing ACS 295
      Proview 17" Monitor
      224 MBs generic PC100 RAM

Travis L. Knodel
      ICQ 5570732

Abit BP6
      Dual Celeron 366@523 Mhz
      Matrox G400 16MB SH
      WD UDMA33 4.3 GB POS HD
      Acer 40X CD Rom
      Memorex 1622 2x2x6 CD-RW
      Internal NEC Zip100
      Netgear 10/100 Ethernet
      Altec Lansing ACS 295
      Proview 17" Monitor

Comment

Blades,
        I have the same problem on UT on Win2000. I have a dual processor and a single processor. My workstation running Win2K is the single processor, and I'm having the same problem after about 10 mins. I tried enabling/disabling 32-bit Z buffer, bus mastering, irq's, reinstall, old and new drivers and I think it might just be the game of win2k. I'm waiting for more possible solutions.

------------------
        Abit BP6 Dual Celeron 366@550
        256MB PC-100 RAM
        G400 32mb MAX DH Mode
        Voodoo2 with hacked win2k drivers
        Hollwood + dvd decoder
        20.5 GB IBM HD Win2K Pro Swap Drive
        9.1 GB IBM Hd Win2K Adv. Server Swap Drive
        10.0 GB IBM HD Win98SE Swap Drive
        20.5 GB IBM Internal Seconday Drive for file storage.
        Toshiba SR-8485 6X DVD-Rom
        HP 7200i CD-RW
        SBLive! Platinum.
        Netgear 310TX 10/100
        Ethernet card
        Cable Modem connection. (I hated the DSL 384k dl. I hit 350k average day when everone is on, and 625 at night EVERY day with cable modem! Slowest I've gotten on very busy time is 160K.)

Abit BP6 Dual Celeron 366@550
        256MB PC-100 RAM
        G400 32mb MAX DH Mode
        Voodoo2 with hacked win2k drivers
        Hollwood + dvd decoder
        20.5 GB IBM HD Win2K Pro Swap Drive
        9.1 GB IBM Hd Win2K Adv. Server Swap Drive
        10.0 GB IBM HD Win98SE Swap Drive
        20.5 GB IBM Internal Seconday Drive for file storage.
        Toshiba SR-8485 6X DVD-Rom
        HP 7200i CD-RW
        SBLive! Platinum.
        Netgear 310TX 10/100
        Ethernet card
        Cable Modem connection. (I hated the DSL 384k dl. I hit 350k average day when everone is on, and 625 at night EVERY day with cable modem! Slowest I've gotten on very busy time is 160K.)

Comment

Hey you'll haven't heard of the single processor problem (wouldn't doubt it given Matrox's record) but Matrox has acknowledged the SMP problem in Windows 2000 and has promised to "look into it."

Translated: That means that it's going to take a while to fix... probably not very high on the list considering the problems in NT4 with SMP has never been fixed either. Ohh well..

Best suggestion is to stick with one processor or another card. My GeForce is in the mail right now. Anyone looking for a slightly used Matrox G400. :P

------------------
          Travis L. Knodel
          ICQ 5570732

Abit BP6
          Dual Celeron 366@523 Mhz
          Matrox G400 16MB SH
          WD UDMA33 4.3 GB POS HD
          Acer 40X CD Rom
          Memorex 1622 2x2x6 CD-RW
          Internal NEC Zip100
          Netgear 10/100 Ethernet
          Altec Lansing ACS 295
          Proview 17" Monitor

Travis L. Knodel
          ICQ 5570732

Abit BP6
          Dual Celeron 366@523 Mhz
          Matrox G400 16MB SH
          WD UDMA33 4.3 GB POS HD
          Acer 40X CD Rom
          Memorex 1622 2x2x6 CD-RW
          Internal NEC Zip100
          Netgear 10/100 Ethernet
          Altec Lansing ACS 295
          Proview 17" Monitor

Comment

Same thing here on single processor. Lowering the UT resolution (from 1024x16 to 800x16) seems to eliminate the problem, but I'm not convinced yet.

------------------
            P3@558 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/W98/NT4

[This message has been edited by Scytale (edited 21 March 2000).]
            P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

quake 3 seems to work fine..can directx be the culprite? maybe ..directx 8 will fix it..but then that would be a long wait

and quake 3 sucks.. i guess ill use my old mobo..and win98 for now

Comment

I can only talk about my experiences in UT on a single processor system right now, but since the get go it's run flawlessly and faster then on my Win98SE box. I don't know what could be causing people who have trouble with single chip config problems cause mine as run perfect from the first install.
                PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

Comment

I can't speak from experience here, but have you guys tried to force AGP 1x. Several people reported similar problems with UT crashing using single processors and WIn98Se. But using 1x fixed them and allowed them to keep busmastering turned on.
                  RAB
                  AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

i got mine working..but i had to disable the other prossesor and make it mps uniprossesor
                    at system ..device manager and it works fine..and it does seem a bit faster on win2k ..but it is still a pain in the butt on having to change mps from multi to uni..

Comment

Try RAB's solution.It may work(or you may have tried it)
                      It was the only solution when I first got my card,same problem,lockups after 10 minutes.gobrob

[This message has been edited by gobrob (edited 26 March 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                      X