Reboots<---help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reboots<---help!

ive been getting too many reboots without notifications in the middle of my game... any 3D game... why is this?

system:
    -PIII 667 Mhz
    -CC820 Intel MOBO with latest INF
    -Matrox G400 Max 32 DH driver ver 5.52 tried 5.30 didnt help @ IRQ9
    -SBlive latest drivers @ IRQ 10
    -AMD nic card @IRQ10
    -128MB RAM apperture 256MB
    -13.6HD

can anybody help me here, im a little bit frustrated about this vid card...

What makes you think it's the video card?

What about:
    overheating: try things with the case off?
    PS problems: low current can cause reboots
    IRQ sharing: you should really get rid of this

3D games tax the entire system, so it's a little too early to narrow it down to the G400.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

well, when i was still using the driver that came with my video card there was no reboot and sometimes when im using my IE errors occurred G400.drv and GDI.EXE (that happens when im using the driver that came with my card) so i updated it with 5.52 still the same...

i have a 250W PS is that ok with my system?

but ill try the case off since i havent tried that before...

and hey dont be too defensive on ur matrox card im not the only one having this error...

thnx

Comment

I think the ps might be a little low. I tried running my system on a 230W ps but it didn't work too well.... lol. That was with the K6-2 back in the day . Try the case off, try a different ps and also check your IRQ's as Wombat mentioned. If they look funky and you're not sure about them, just copy and paste them up here and someone who likes IRQ's will be more than happy to look through them.

Dimitri

P.S.: I didn't see anyone getting defensive about "ur Matrox card" and I suggest for your sake that it stays that way. People have a nasty habbit of getting flamed for trashing things off that bat (not that you were). Just a little warning to a mini...
        "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
        --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

thnx... i was just pissed off of all the reboots i had... anyway my apology to Wombat...

do you know by any chance how much voltage is core 1? coz i got this Hmonitor that monitors temp and voltage of the main board. my reading is 2.5 volts and its red... means its high. i thought this might be relevant to the problem im experiencing.

anyway, i openned my case so far not tested it yet if it still reboots... How much power do i need for my PS? and whr can i buy 'em?

sorry for too many questions im just a rookie...

thnx

Comment

this is my IRQ settings:
            0 System timer
            1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
            2 Programmable interrupt controller
            3 Communications Port (COM2)
            4 Communications Port (COM1)
            5 Creative SB16 Emulation
            6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
            7 Printer Port (LPT1)
            8 System CMOS/real time clock
            9 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead Max - English
            9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
            10 Intel(r) 82801AA USB Universal Host Controller
            10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
            11 AMD PCNET Family Ethernet Adapter (PCI-ISA)
            11 Intel(r) 82801AA SMBus Controller
            11 Creative SB Live!
            11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
            12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
            13 Numeric data processor
            14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
            14 Intel(r) 82801AA Ultra ATA Controller
            15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
            15 Intel(r) 82801AA Ultra ATA Controller

thnx

Comment

I wasn't trying to be defensive, sorry. I've just been bitten before when I assumed a problem was from a certain place.

You can disable to COM ports if you don't need them, and you can have the SB Live! SB16 emulation either disabled or tell it to share with the printer.

And yes, 2.5V sounds very high for a Coppermine chip, should be below 2 volts. But I'm not an expert in intel's latest stuff.

You can get a 300W Antec supply for about $40 (buy.com?). I'm not familiar with their stuff, but people seem to like them.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

oki i already disabled the com ports coz i have no use for them.. but i cant reassign the sb16 emulation and transfer SBLIVE to IRQ... hehehe this is not matrox related issue hehehe... anyway ill testing my machine again if it reboots during the game... thnx

Comment

You can disable the SB16 emulation. And you can also have it share IRQ with the printer. Look again.

Comment

sorry but i dont know how to change it... i already reassign SBLIVE to IRQ 3 but it shares with my nic card coz pci slot 5 goes whr pci slot 3 goes... i mean when i set pci slot to IRQ3 pci slot 5 goes to IRQ 3 too...
                    i think ill just transfer my nic card to another pci slot and change it to IRQ 4 coz its free... thnx

Comment

ok ... heres my new IRQ setup:

0 System timer
                      1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
                      2 Programmable interrupt controller
                      3 Creative SB Live!
                      3 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                      4 AMD PCNET Family Ethernet Adapter (PCI-ISA)
                      4 Intel(r) 82801AA USB Universal Host Controller
                      4 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                      5 Creative SB16 Emulation
                      6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
                      7 Printer Port (LPT1)
                      8 System CMOS/real time clock
                      9 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead Max - English
                      9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                      10 (free)
                      11 Intel(r) 82801AA SMBus Controller
                      12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
                      13 Numeric data processor
                      14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
                      14 Intel(r) 82801AA Ultra ATA Controller
                      15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
                      15 Intel(r) 82801AA Ultra ATA Controller

is this ok now?
                      thnx

Comment

IRQ's look good to me.

Is your system overclocked? If so put back to normal speeds and see if you get any locksups.

What programs are locking up in your system? Just games or applications too? How frequent? When starting games or after they have been running for awhile?

Make sure that you have the latest drivers for the sb live. Also, you can try to disable your sound card to see if lockups still happen.

Definitly may be a possibilty of your power supply. When I went to a 300w ps my lockups went away.

Good luck!
                        xippo

Comment

well, i havent disabled my soundcard yet... my system is not overclocked. i dont have any locks up happening but what i do is reboots... only games specialy 3D games. when im playing for while (about 5-10 minutes) it reboots my system or sometimes kicks back to desktop. im also sure that its not the temperature coz its well ventilated.

is your monitor connected to your PS? mine is not... do my system realy needs that much power?

thnx

Comment

Working...
                          X