Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planscape: Torment cutscenes crash PC

Wotch all,
    Can anyone help me on this one? Every time I run Planescape and it tries to run an intro or cutscene it crashes the PC. Total lockup. I'm running the 1.1 patch for the game, and the 5.52 powerdesk drivers. I've checked the readme files, the planescape website, and the Matrox website, but I can't find anything. Am I the only one that has had this problem?

Cheerie,
    Monty

P.S. I dunno if it's a coincidence or not, but a game I used to play on the below setup with a G200/AWE64, and earlier drivers obviously, was Fallout 2, another game by the same company. It does exactly the same as Planescape now....So is it hardware related????

PC spec:

Celeron 433@541
    Chaintech 6BTM mobo w/ latest BIOS
    164Mb Ram
    18Gb HDD space
    Sony CDU948S SCSI writer *
    Samsung 6x IDE DVD ROM *
    G400 (5ns RAM) o/c to Max specs
    SBLive! Value
    Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI card
    Adaptec 1510 ISA SCSI card
    Win98 SE

* Tried running the game from both drives, no difference.
    Cheerie,
    Monty

I ain't tried a full install....Generally because I don't have 2.5Gb lying about handy....What I do know is that after it tries to run a cutscene, and the machine crashes, it will run it from the cache on the HDD next time. You may think that the files are corrupt, and it'll crash at the same place, but nope. It can crash further on in the cutscene the following time....Weird....I do know that the G400 has no other devices sharing the IRQ, whilst the SBLive! has the 2940 SCSI card...But it don't crash in any other game.....

Cheerie,
    Monty
    Cheerie,
    Monty

Comment

Sorry...have PT 1.1 running fine with my G400...no problem at all....besides, everyone playingt it should ha a SB live! It improves the sound a lot!
      Oh...another little question...i have little wihite dots in the borders between the textures in neary every 3d-game, like Quake and Half Life...any way to solve it?

CU
      Woeba

Comment

For starters, try to put your card back down to the regular specs, not overclocked, and see if that helps. Another thing is to make sure you are running either 5.41 or 5.52 drivers. Check your "options" for your card, verify that you do NOT disable vsync. Though this shouldn't really hurt anything, doing a vsync disable CAN cause some weird problems.

Comment

sorry this isn't an answer to your problem, but this is a sensational game, probably the best rpg since betrayal of krondor (oldie but not much has come close since, even better if you are a bit of a R.E. Feist fan). sorry i don't mean to rub it in but stay with it. have you tried to do a full install? details on the torment webpage. basically you copy the entire contents of all the cds to the hd (except disc 1) and then edit the torment.ini file (i think, check first) to reflect the new distination of the data files.
          good luck.
          Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.04beta, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @770, Swiftech MC370-3 peltier cooler 256M PC133 Crucial 7E SDRAM, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, occasionally use dualhead for dvd on a Sony 80cm Wega TV, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,
          Win98SE 4.10.2222A, DX7a.

Comment

Monty,
            Do you have your desktop set to 16bit color?
            It is an Infinity engine 2D game that is
            designed to run at 640X480X16.
            I would check that first!
            Or try here> http://www.interplay.com/support/torment/fixes.html
            in case you haven't already.
            Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X