Anyone else have this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have this problem?

whenever I'm playing UT or WOT or (wait, those are the only games I play....), and I am forced to minimize/play in windowed mode the game crashes with a memory error. Only it doesn't always do it. Usually, but sometimes I get lucky. Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks,

Dimitri

------------------
    Athon 700
    MSI K7-PRO (110 version)
    G400 MAX
    196 Megs PC100 RAM
    20 gig Maxtor
    6 gig WD
    DVD-ROM (2nd gen)
    RealMagic Hollywood + DVD decoder
    32X cd-rom
    Crappy sound card (with a GREAT stereo )

Ok people, keep those UT excuses to suck rolling in. I need all the "help" I can get...

New Excuse: My computer runs it too smoothly. I can't figure out what I'm doing without the choppyness....
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Try running with just one DIMM. Sounds like a RAM problem.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Woudn't that just make it worse Kruzin?

Dimitri
      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Dimitri,

Jesus Christ, you are asking for help, you get a suggestion. Yeah, he is going to suggest something that is going to make it worse, JUST TRY IT! This is a troubleshooting step to see where exactly your problem lies.

Rags

Comment

Coreect me if I am wrong, but I think Kruzin meant to swap the DIMMS to find whether/which one is faulty.
          Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

I think that Kruzin saw that Dimitri has 196 Megs of RAM. Of which can only be obtained by having at least two different sizes of memory. Sometimes having different types/sizes of memory can cause problems on certain systems. So Kruzin was suggesting to take one out, to see if the problem was a memory error from the mismatch.

Rags

Comment

"Woudn't that just make it worse Kruzin?"

No, it would help you track down where the problem is. You say the game crashes with a memory error. So test the memory. Take out one DIMM and try it. If it still does it, try the other DIMM. If it works with one DIMM, but not the other, you know which one is bad. If it works with both idividually, but not when they are both in together, they are too far mis-matched.

Possible sollutions:
              Replace bad ram
              Only run one DIMM at a time
              Slow down memory timings
              Force 1x AGP
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks Kruzin for the suggestion and for the explanation (which is all I wanted when I posted my reply).

Thanks Rags for showing me that people can still be a$$holes when people just ask a simple fuc*ing question for clarification!!! It's nice to know that. Really fuc*ing appreciate it!!! At least you tried to help explain in your second post. Thanks.

Dimitri

I will try this tomorrow after my final and see how it works.

P.S.: I'm sorry for my short temper, but I really don't need to take shit from people when I'm this stressed out, especially over such a fuc*in simple fuc*in question.

[This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 19 March 2000).]
                --- Albert Einstein

Comment

No problem Dimitri. I had it coming, I shouldn't take out my bad days on you guys.

Rags

Comment

College teaches you all sorts of nice words, doesn't it... lol.

No worries Rags.

Dimitri
                    --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Memory error?
                      I get that error too

------------------
                      AMD Athlon 500@800
                      Asus K7M
                      256mb PC100
                      <b>Matrox G400 "MAX"</b>
                      Diamond MX300
                      Western Digital 10gb
                      Asus 40x cd-rom
                      Pioneer 10x dvd-rom(tray)
                      hi

Comment

Ok, I finally got around to opening up my case and swapping the ram around. I was actually drilling holes in it (the case, not the ram.... ) for my final case fan (#7 ) and remembered to do this. I still get that error.

Failed to preallowcate initial textures, 4x4: DDERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY
                        Any other ideas? I've now tried this with both my 128 and my 64 meg sticks. Same with both. Thanks for any other inputs.

Dimitri

P.S.: While I'm at it, do you know how to get the mouse wheel to work in UT? It works just fine with EVERY other app I can think of (except WOT, duh) and for weapon change, it says mousewheel up/down, it just doesn't do it.... I have a Logitech Cordless Mouseman Wheel. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Muad'Dib (edited 30 March 2000).]
                        --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Sys specs if you need em. Can't give IRQ's now though (although I doubt their necessary). Sorry for the second post, I forgot to put it in the first and apperantly you can't add a sig when editing....

Dimitri

------------------
                          Athon 700
                          MSI K7-PRO (110 version)
                          G400 MAX
                          196 Megs PC100 RAM
                          20 gig Maxtor
                          6 gig WD
                          DVD-ROM (2nd gen)
                          RealMagic Hollywood + DVD decoder
                          Toshiba CDRW (will check on model number when I get home)
                          SB Live! X-Gamer (ALMOST went for the platinum, but....)

Ok people, keep those UT excuses to suck rolling in. I need all the "help" I can get...

New Excuse: My computer runs it too smoothly. I can't figure out what I'm doing without the choppyness....
                          --- Albert Einstein

Comment

I suspect the DDerror is because of your small AGP apperture setting (DX cannot allocate enough video memory because of this). Hopefully your new mobo will fix that.

For your mouse wheel (I have that same mouse), you have 2 options:
                            1) Shut down em_exec before starting the game, or

2) Hack your registry with these lines:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Logitech\MouseWare\Cur rentVersion\Technical]
                            "MouseHookDllEnable"="0"
                            "WheelMsgToVmouse"="1"

This will allow the wheel to work, but will cause some apps to double scroll....

Comment

Thanks Kruzin for the mouse wheel idea. I can't wait to actually get that workin again. Worked fine with my old mouse, just with a crappy comp though....

About that AGP Aperture size, I can set it up to 2 gigs, but I have it at 256 right now. Should I change that? I've heard mixed opinions that it should be 1/2 your ram or it should be double. Not sure which to go by though.....

Thanks,
                              Dimitri

One more thing, how do you "overburn" things using Adaptec easy CD creator? I was like 1 min. over the setting for the cd I was copying and it wouldn't let me burn it for the life of me. If you know, I'd be glad for any help.
                              --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X