Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone test UT w/ the newest win2k drivers? does it still crash when using dual ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone test UT w/ the newest win2k drivers? does it still crash when using dual ?

I had to take off win2k ... and since a new win2k driver came out i was just wondering if it still crashes UT when using 2 cpus? the previous driver..crashes ut about 10 min. of game play..so does the new one does the same thing?

[This message has been edited by blades (edited 09 April 2000).]

That's difficult to answer... some do claim it works fine, but then again, it may be a config problem for you. Post up some more info... ie IRQ's, drivers in use, hardware, OS, etc.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Right now i cant really answer some questions like the irq..ect.. cause i did uninstall win2k and went back to win98..

but my hardware are

mobo : abit bp6
      card : g400 32mb dh
      ram : 128
      irq : not sure but i remember it was on 5 when win2k was on
      hd : Ultra/66 Ibm 20.3 mb

driver : i was using 5.03 then

and when ever i do use UT ( when both cpu's are enabled the game crashes/ freezes around 10 min upon startup of the game, but it does work fine when i changed win2k from dual to uni processor) so just wondering if anyone tried out the new drivers yet? and if UT still crashes when using dual cpu's

and do you think its smp enabled? anyone tested it w/ quake3 yet?

[This message has been edited by blades (edited 09 April 2000).]

Comment

The new drivers are "smp friendlier", but NOT "smp enabled". In other words, Quake3 run in "r_smp 1" will just crash and burn, but Quake3 run in "r_smp 0" will run fine without resorting to a single-cpu HAL.

This results in slightly better performance since a lot of the background tasks will be running dual-cpu.

If you were really anal, you could even reprioritize ALL system processes to the 2nd CPU and run nothing but QUake3 on the 1st CPU for a big ol' speed boost.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

ok..thanks..but i dont think its still time to go and use win2k yet..ill wait till better drivers comes out

Comment

Working...
          X