5.53 rulez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you said "use at your own risk"
    if the driver dont work for someone, they sould not complain, they should make it better. or they should talk to you about solutions.

rip

Comment

Well yeah, you've got a point there! =)

Comment

Used them at my own risk and changed back to 5.52.015. Every time I loaded a mission in Armada it crashed after about 5 seconds of play.

Comment

Just curious, did you do an uninstall before you installed the newer drivers? Actually this is the reason for almost any driver malfunction. Make sure you uninstall the older driver especially if you're switching from Matrox' drivers to the driverpack drivers and back!

regards
          PKY

Comment

he ? armada does not funktion with pky 5.53 ? well, on my system it runs perfect ! never crashed, and i played several hours. i think youve just done something wrong.

i have purchased the fifth g400 for my friends, and everyone is happy. the image qualityy is really suberb, and the drivers improve every version. when the g450 will be released, i will buy it.

Comment

I uninstalled the old drivers before installing your driver pack PKY, but that was not the problem. I found the problem today when I gave them one more try. In the first place I didn't notice (more like I forgot) that your drivers disable v-sync by default. This by me generates some problems with certain games,Armada seemes to be one of them. Armada works fine now. Had one crash, but it's nothing I didn't had with the old drivers.
              Leaving Armada aside, what interested me most was the solving of the shadows and weapon marks problems in Quake 3 with the regular ICD(Problems with the new ICD), but they are still there.
              One game I had problems with was Warlords 3 (I sometimes like to play older games). It reminded me how it was to play on a 486.

In general, I don't see much difference between your drivers and 5.52.015, beside the fact that 5.52.015 are supported by Matrox.

Comment

Quake3 demo001:
                5.52 - 50.5 FPS
                5.53 - 53.6 FPS

Not sure about Direct3D and 3DMark.

------------------
                Shoyu
                Celeron 300A, Asus P2B, 128MB PC-100, Matrox G400 MAX.

Comment

There is not MUCH of a difference and YES some of the old problems are still there especially OpenGL wise but this is nothing I can change by just putting together some new drivers!

But on some systems there is performance gain. For me it is in both, OpenGL and D3D. And yes, the driverpack sets stuff to default because if you want a clean install you use the uninstaller which deletes all entries so this is the reason for the V_Sync thingy!

One other problem I did report more than once when replying to a thread is that on SOME systems the TurboGL drivers do not seem to work with 5.53.017 but this is a minor thingy because most of the 5.5x users use the ICD as it is faster and more stable and runs with more than just a selection of apps!

regards
                  PKY

Comment

Calm down
                    The TurboGL works fine by me (with your driver pack). What I wanted was to ditch the TurboGL and use the ICD without having those shadow problems. Was hoping Matrox would've changed something in 5.53, even by mistake.
                    I'll just have to wait for some new official (or beta) release

Comment

Well I just wanted to let ppls know that they might encounter problems! This is because I was told not to spread my drivers without informing ppls what they risk!

Glad the drivers work for you though and yes they really should fix this problem! =)

regards
                      PKY

Comment

Hi,

I've been using them for three days now and all's well

Take a look at the picture below and if that is the problem encountered by others when using the TurboGl in conjunction with your drivers, then know that it's due to using the 32 bits Z-buffer option in PD.

Your character's face changes colour depending on what weapon you use, but the only weapon effect that is affected is the plasma gun shown here.

Comment

Well thanks a lot for the screenshot! Yes this is another problem but it's not the one ppls have been contacting me about. Some do experience system hangs with the 5.53 driver and the TurboGL drivers. Your screenshot looks good though at least it's running! hehehe I know it looks much better with the ICD. =)

BTW I've released a new driverpack containing the 5.55.022 drivers and a new ICD. This ICD has the same problems with Q3 and else but the driver itself might be faster or more stable for you so anyone interested in testing it, head over to d/l it!

regards
                          PKY www.paraknowya.de

Comment

Thanks, I'll give them a try

The TurboGl had no lockups, just that problem with using 32 bits z-buffer, so I unchecked the option in PD and went back to having no stencil in Quake 3. But if you use the ICD and enable the 32 bits z-buffer with all the latest drivers from Matrox (from 5.41 to 5.52) you get a corrupted option screen.

The only combination that has no graphic problems by me with the 5.52 or your driver pack is TGL&16 bits z-buffer, that's why I'm still using TGL.

[This message has been edited by Aurel (edited 20 May 2000).]

Comment

Hi Aurel,

could you please post or send me a screenshot of the corrupted menu screen?! I'm using the ICD for Quake3 with 32bit Z enabled and everything looks good and works corrently!

Besides, did you get an performance increase with the new drivers (maybe in D3D)?! Just asking because I did not. Almost the same results here just like 5.53.017.

regards
                              PKY

Comment

Using the ICD and 32 bits z-buffer
                                --------------------------------------------

Using the ICD and 16 bits z-buffer
                                --------------------------------------------

The corrupted screen was there since 5.41. The shadow problems showed up since 5.52.

As for any increase in D3D speed with your latest driver pack, there's none that I can see.

[This message has been edited by Aurel (edited 20 May 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                                X