Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400Max, Quake1, odd color artifacts

A picture is worth a 1000 words.

I would post a pic (gif) if requested, as it is very difficult to describe the problem which only seems to appear in Quake1.

I get very odd shadings of surfaces, but not of all surfaces. The colors seem to be not of those in the Quake1 palette.

I have installed bios 1.09. Using drivers version 5.52 from Matrox. Tried 5.20, but got a "not recognized card" message.

Help!

Stuff:
    Asus P3V4 bios 1003
    VIA 4in1 v4.17
    2pcs- Micron 128Mb PC133 ECC (256 total)
    Intel P3 550e @733, Alpha + Peltier cooler
    SCSI drives
    Diamond MX300 sound card

Half-Life, Quake2, and Unreal Tournament work fine.

You are most probably seeing the 'rainbow textures' effect. We have been seeing that since the first ICD beta. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next release..

To go around it, just add -lm_4 parameter to your GLQuake/GLQW commandline.

.Tumu

Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
    64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
    Win98 finnish

Comment

Another option is to set the console variable:

r_dynamic 0

That turns off the dynamic lighting which is the cause of the disco lighting effects..

Comment

Tumu: adding the parameter -lm_4 sure fixed the problem. But only because I see nothing! Complete darkness, no walls - only thing I see is other players.

Comment

same effect.
          Will it be better in GLQWCL? Because that's the only thing I want to play... ;-)

W2K, 5.04, G400, xgl200 glide wrapper.
          Matrox Millenium P750 bios 1.3 - 12, P4 3Ghz HT 800Mhz, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1Gb DDR400 Dual Channel, Dual Seagate 80Gb S-ATA on Intel Raid level 0, Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1302, external Yamaha CD-RW CRW-F1DX on Firewire, Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, Viewsonic P90F, Viewsonic PF790

Comment

Thanks, shogun. r_dynamic 0 works.

-lm_4 makes all but players and water black.

Comment

Fury, strange, it works fine for me both in GLQuake and GLQW. The r_dynamic 0 works also for me, though then there will be no dynamic lights. :/

I'm using the OGL ICD, not TurboGL. You could also try the TurboGL to get a _nice_ speed boost. TurboGL should work without the -lm_4 parameter and r_dynamic 1 set.

.Tumu

------------------
              64MB PC100 RAM, G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM (not overclocked, a fan, bios v2.6),
              PD5.52, SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
              Win98 finnish

64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
              Win98 finnish

Comment

TurboGL clears up any rainbow effect in Quake 1.

------------------
                BreadFan

Soyo SY-6BA+IV , Pentium III 500MHz, SoundBlaster Live Value, 20.5gb IBM 34 GXP ATA/66 hard drive, 384mb PC100 RAM, 3Com 3C905 TX 10/100 PCI NIC, and a freakin' awesome Matrox G400Max!!
                BreadFan

Asus CUSL2 mobo
                PIII 800MHz FCPGA 133MHz Bus
                512MB Crucial PC133 RAM
                30.7GB IBM 75GXP ATA/100 HD
                Soundblaster Live Platinum
                3Com 3C905-TX NIC
                Viewsonic PS790 19" Monitor
                BBNow Cable Modem Service
                Windows 2000 Professional and a freakin' awesome Matrox G400Max!!

Comment

Actually, TurboGL fixes all my rainbow color effects in any Quake and Quake II engine. I just need one for Soldier of Fortune game .
                  Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

Comment

Tumu said:
                    Fury, strange, it works fine for me both in GLQuake and GLQW. The r_dynamic 0 works also for me,
                    though then there will be no dynamic lights. :/

I'm using the OGL ICD, not TurboGL. You could also try the TurboGL to get a _nice_ speed boost.
                    TurboGL should work without the -lm_4 parameter and r_dynamic 1 set.

I'm unfamiliar with the terms. What/where do I obtain the OGL ICD? I have the Turbo files but have not installed them.

2nd problem: Why doesn't QWCL work? It hangs at "checking sounds".

Comment

It would be really good if we can clear this up. If I can have dynamic lighting using ICD and not have rainbow textures it would be really great... so does anyone know why -lm_4 works only for tumu?

fury, OGL ICD is just the PowerDesk 5.52 you are using.

Comment

Did some digging around for my previous post about the -lm_4 parameter and found it:
                        http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003103.html

Also there has been a thread ( http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/000025.html ) in the Matrox forums where I pointed this out and it seems that the workaround didn't work either with G400's.

Hmm, the only conclusion I may think of all this that the OGL ICD (or in very unlikely case, the hardware in G400 but not in G200) may be totally FUBARed concerning this issue.

Well, the next driver release might solve this problem if we're lucky..

.Tumu
                        Win98 finnish

Comment

Working...
                        X