whats....g400's limits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats....g400's limits?

anyone figured out g400's limits yet? I heard 3dfx's voodoo 3 wont go over 60fps..so i would like to know if i would gain lots of fps w/ my g400 dh 32mb videocard by upgrading my cpu to a celeron 566(prolly run @ 850 or more ) anyone got one of those cellies yet?? whats your scores

[This message has been edited by blades (edited 24 May 2000).]

The G400's seem to scale nicely with faster processors. So, you'll see an increase in FPS with your processor upgrade.
    I haven't got all my benchmark #'s here but I started out with a P2-450 not O'cd when I first got my G400 and am now running a P3-700 @ 868. It's just gotten faster with each processor upgrade.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

G400 limits? Now, let´s see... a 640x480 screen has 307200 pixels. As the G400Max has a fill rate of 300 MPixel/second, I´d say the G400 limits would be around 976.5 fps at 640x480

Now for real: upgrade with a celery 566 from what? With a faster cpu you´ll gain fps at 640, 800 and 1024 in most cases. Above that, G400 is fill-rate limited. Q3 in 800x600 with HQ settings already is very fill-rate limited on the G400.

And of course V3 will go over 60 fps (unless you have Vsynch on and a marvelous 60hz refresh rate)

Comment

i dont have a voodoo 3 but a friend of mine who has it just upgraded his cpu and had no fps gains, prolly cause of the vsync then?
        i currently have a 366@550 celeron..(love celerons)

Comment

You would be better with a 500E oc´ed to 133 fsb... but a celery II @ 850 would be definitly faster than your 550

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 25 May 2000).]

Comment

As Nuno says - the 500E being a PIII would also give you the Streaming Multimedia Instruction Set - which should speed up most recent games by a fair margin (Quake III, UT etc.). Even 3DMark 99 reports around 20 - 30 FPS more in the game sections with a PIII as opposed to a Celeron at roughly the same speed setting.

Case in point -

PIII 550 - 3D Mark game (wipeout simulation) rating 84FPS @ 640 x 480 x 16.

Celeron 466 @ 598 - 3D Mark game rating 49FPS @ 640 x 480 x 16.

These tests were conducted using a G400 Max and with the same configuration (apart from the processor)
            What do you want a signature for?

Comment

The Celeron II (ie: Celeron 566 and up and the FCPGA Celeron 533)
              includes SIMD extensions. The only difference between a PIII Coppermine and a Celeron II Coppermine is the amount of L2 cache (128KB) and the bus speed (66MHz).

And hell, why not? Its not often Intel makes the same mistake twice. Certainly, the PIII is about %10 faster in most applications, but for those of us lacking PC133 ram, the Celeron II is a steal at half the price of a PIII.

------------------
              This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

Comment

There is also a difference in the cache latency as well.

Rags

------------------
                Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

Rags - Has it turned out the cache latency is really lower? I remember reading that, and then reading that Intel had expressly denied it (on Anandtech I believe)...

Comment

Not only the latency is lower (I don't care what Intel says, I believe what WCPUID says), they changed from a 8-way associative cache to a 4-way associative cache. And that hinders performance significantly. That's why a Celeron2 @950MHz often is much slower than a Coppermine 600MHz @ 800MHz.

Comment

wondering ..am i better of buying celeron 566 or 600? i heard the 533, 566 doesnt have smp support( i got dual mobo, but only use 1 cpu for now..cause win2k sucks for me) but the new 600's does support..and that they have a newer structure than the older 533, 566? any suggestions which cpu to buy??

..i only want celeron..cause im poor dont need a p3 for now

Comment

Rags,
                        That depends on whether they realy can detect the latency, or just look it up in a table based on cpu type.
                        chuck
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                        X