Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded computer; Now all my games crash!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a program called Soft FSB out, with which you can set your frontsidebus through software, and as you say you're more of a software freak than a hardware freak, maybe it'll help you.

I'll hunt down a link to it.

Btw, before you got the manual for your motherboard, did you actually take a hard look at the motherboard that's in your PC? Or maybe your case has been locked by the engineer who works on it, so you can't take a look at it, but aren't there any jumpers on that mobo?

Don't dare to quote whole of this, btw, I kinda have enough of reading everything twice!!

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Check this thread

Maggi's post sends you right off to the right address to download SFSB from.

Let us know if it helped.

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden: Yes, I have looked and I couldn't to find any thing related to FSB. Like I said it was done automatically like the manual said.

I will try that FSB program. Does it handle DOS and Linux? Remember, the DOS memory tester (DOS boot) randomly failed at 100 Mhz bus speed.

[This message has been edited by antdude (edited 21 August 2000).]
        Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

Comment

Hey, antdude.... I've looked at the .pdf file you linked to.

First of all, it's for Rev. AB+-- not Rev. A, which is the one I had, and the one you said you had.

You can see that it does make a difference, since your manual and the one for Rev. D. differ significantly.

I do see that the jumpers to set the FSB seem to have been added in some later revision, so skip that, but from your manual it seems that setting the processor multiplier is very important, as the BIOS appears to take the FSB from the setting for the processor.

What I find weird though, is that the manual you provide acts like you can only set the FSB to either 66MhZ or 100MhZ-- and you have yours set to 83MhZ.

Now I do know that Revision A did support 75 and 83MhZ as well, because I tried to overclock my Celly to 100 MhZ (it wouldn't boot), then to 83 (it wasn't stable), and so I was forced to 75MhZ (which was pretty pointless). I don't know if they removed that "sort of SoftFSB" from the BIOS in the middle revisions then put it back for the later ones or what, but I would really like a confirmation of just which revision of the P2XBL you have in that case.

Next thing I wonder is, are we on the totally wrong track here? This does seem like part of the problem, but I'm not confident that the memory isn't faulty over and above the bad DIMM slot antdude seems to have.

Can someone list in a simple manner the reasons that a system would not run stably at 100MhZ, but would at <u>83</u>-- since, afaik, 83Mhz is one of the most flakey intermediate FSBs that you could possibly use?

------------------
          Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
          -Jay Bulworth

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 21 August 2000).]

Comment

HollyBerri: The printed manual says AB+ . I think they meant revisions A, B, and higher? [shrugs]

As for FSB settings, I noticed in one of the BIOS update, different clock frequencies were added (look at the BIOS download page and update list). Remember, the manual is over two years old so some things are irrevelant. BIOS do change. Check the download for the BIOS (10/29/1999; P2XBL r.A) on DFI's Web site. Remember to look at Revision A only!

I know it says Revision A in the POST screen. And if I tried to use any other BIOS updates that doesn't work on my mobo, it will warn me. It does that checksum error checking or whatever before flashing.

[This message has been edited by antdude (edited 21 August 2000).]

Comment

Well, I guess you're right about the manual title, since I can only find references to revisions A, B, C and D on the DFI Tech support site (I really thought there was a revision AB+!!! ).

But this is what the DFI Tech Support FAQ say:

Last Update: 03/13/2000

This information applies to:
              System performance

Question:
              How to adjust the FSB (Front Side Bus) speed?

Answer:
              The FSB speed can be adjusted from the BIOS setup menu (there are no DIP / jumper settings available). <u>The default setting allows the system to automatically adjust the appropriate speed according to the CPU. When the CPU with bus speed is less than 100MHz the bus speed options up to 83MHz are available. If the CPU's bus speed is 100MHz, then bus speeds options up to 133MHz are available.

However, if you wish to set the 66MHz bus speed CPU to 100MHz or over, you can force the bus speed to 100 MHz by removing the jumper JP1 which located next to the DIP switch on the motherboard. Remove this jumper will also made the bus speed options available up to 133MHz in the BIOS set up menu.</u>
              But as you see, nothing indicates that there is any setting for the AGP clock. It seems in all revisions to be set by the FSB, not by the user.

So I think my question still stands-- why would a system not run well at 100Mhz, but be stable at 83Mhz????

-----------------------------
              Holly

Comment

ARGGGGGGGGGH! The dilemma continues. Sheesh. That is what I would like to know!

Comment

<font size=5>HOLD THE PHONE II!!!!!</font>

Here's more from the DFI P2XBL FAQ:
                  Posted Date: 03/13/2000
                  Last Update: 03/13/2000

This information applies to:

CPU Support
                  Motherboard design

Question:
                  Does my motherboard support Coppermine CPU ?

Answer:
                  Due to the VCore supply for P2XBL Rev. A/B/C/e were designed to be 2.0V at minimum level, the motherboard does not support Coppermine CPU.
                  Could this be the problem? The voltage core being too high for the CPU?

------------------------------
                  Holly

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 22 August 2000).]

Comment

If AGP doesn't correctly swap to 2/3, then that could account for the stability@83/unstability@100.
                    We need some Sandra numbers to know what the real AGP speed is.

------------------
                    Join the MURC SETI team!

View the exciting stats
                    P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                    Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

I just reread the first post, that states a Katmai P3 with 512 L2, so it's hardly a voltage issue (but who knows).
                      That also makes my comment about the L2 latency superfluous.

------------------
                      Join the MURC SETI team!

View the exciting stats
                      P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                      Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Okay! I am running SoftFSB v1.7-g1:

Target Mainboard: DFI P2XBL/D (I don't see revision A ).
                        Target Clock Generator: Unknown (what do I set for this?)

Current FSB (PCI): External = 100 (33.3) Mhz
                        Select FSB (PCI): External = 100 (33.3) Mhz

5/8 (is this the ratio?)

Current CPU Freq: Internal = 601.4 Mhz

That is what I saw originally before changing anything! What do I change to? haha

Comment

Oh crap! I am not changing my FSB real-time again! It frozed my computer hard and I couldn't reset the computer! It would reboot and get stuick. No POST or anything (just a black screen)! HDD and CD-ROM drives spinning. I thought I killed my system badly! I couldn't even hold down the case power button for 10 seconds to turn off. I had to turn off my power surge protector. I turned it back on, and whew! It is back to normal. Geez, I totally thought this program really killed my system literally! Ugh! I got scared!

Basically, I changed the FSB to 4/8:
                          FSB (PCI): External = 83.3 (41.6) Mhz.

Maybe it was meant for revision D because it has FSB manual change support. I don't know! I am not playing with this program anymore!

[This message has been edited by antdude (edited 22 August 2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by Sisyfos:
                            One thing is odd, L2 Latency : 1
                            This is a coppermine and should be 0.

Is it possible for you to run Sisoft Sandra to see what your actual AGP speed is?
                            That would be nice knowing.
                            Here's what weird. When I run the mainboard information, my system likes to pause on and off. I have to reboot to fix this OR I can do a refresh (repeat the information again). It alternates... Annoying!

Hey, is there a way to print all this information to a file for you guys? Anyways for, AGP speed (if I am reading the right info):

AGP Bus:
                            Version: 1.00
                            Bus Speed: 67 Mhz
                            Current Data Transfer: 2x (134 Mhz)
                            Side Band Enabled: Yes
                            Fast-Writes Enabled: No
                            Aperture Size: 64 MB (I already fiddled with this via CMOS)

Am I looking at the right information? Let me go check the L2 latency (will edit this post).

[This message has been edited by antdude (edited 22 August 2000).]

Comment

Okay, so this program doesn't have print features. Well, that doesn't stop me to fix this computer problem! I copied and pasted the hardware information for a P3 600 Mhz (100 Mhz bus speed):
                              http://apu.edu/~philpi/temp/CPU-BIOS-Info.gif http://apu.edu/~philpi/temp/MainboardInfo.gif http://apu.edu/~philpi/temp/PCIAGP-BusesInfo.gif http://apu.edu/~philpi/temp/PCIAGP-CPU-to-PCI.gif http://apu.edu/~philpi/temp/PCIAGP-P...AGP-Bridge.gif

Remember, I already tried each memory module by itself and still get crashes. I noticed the CPU temperature is different in Sandra than the software health monitor and CMOS! That doesn't make any sense!

One time, my paint optimizer (Ulead Smart Saver Pro v3.0) crashed with two different error. I never had them before! Must be related to the 100 Mhz problem! ARGH!

GO CRAZY WITH MY SCREEN SHOTS! See how desperate I want this thing to work?

Comment

I got an interesting reply from a newsgroup. The quoted part is from there. My messages aren't quoted.

"Taking a quick look at the screenshots, several things stand out. First, the L2
                                cache latency is set at 1. Try a higher number, perhaps 2 or 3. Second, the L1
                                cache should be set for write-back...not sure whether or not it is. BTW, was"

I can't configure this in CMOS. You can view the manual if you want to look for it. I don't see it there and in CMOS.

"the computer's bios setup re-configured "by the book" if it had been reflashed?
                                A newly flashed bios almost always changes the setting to a "failsafe" default
                                just so the computer can POST and start. It does not mean that the default
                                settings are optimal for the installed operating system."

I am not using the default CMOS settings. My friend and I already fiddled with the settings.

"Equally troubling is Notice N224, "SMBIOS/DMI Information may be
                                inaccurate". Because the change from the PII to PIII processor usually needs
                                a bios upgrade, was this one done, again, "by the book"? Was the ESCD table updated? Sometimes, updating ESCD is overlooked when updating the main bios boot block."

I am using the lastest BIOS (10/29/1999) and what is this ESCD table about? I am confused! Where do I see this and access? What do I do?

"Noticed that DirectX 7.0a is installed. Is it compatible with the graphics card?"

Every one agrees that this is compatible, RIGHT? If it wasn't, we would be all posting about it! [grin]

"Finally, the temperature is OK. There is some variance between that read by the bios and a software monitoring program."

Comment

Working...
                                X