Best Performance in Elite Force with G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Performance in Elite Force with G400

I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest the best config settings to get the smoothest performance from Elite Force?

I've set the display to 800x600 and have put most colour depth settings that I can find to 16-bit but it still runs very jerky, espescially when compared to Quake III! I think Online HM's are much smoother so maybe it's just the AI running at a huge overhead?

Cheers

Jeff

System:

K6-III/450 with 64MB RAM
    G400 32MB DH
    SB Live 1024 Value
    15GB HDD, 48xCD
    Hayes Accura 56k Modem (Ext)
    Win 98SE
    PD 6.xx beta drivers
    I've not installed TurboGL as I've been told that it doesn't give all that significant a speed boost.
    --
    AMD K6-III 450,
    32 MB G400 DH,
    64 MB RAM
    SB Live Value
    Samsung 606F DVD
    Zip Internal
    15GB HDD
    FIC Mobo with VIA chipset

I see two things. One I would put another 64MB of memory in that machine. No only will it help in some games but overall system performance too. The second thing is that we all know that the AMD CPUs, especially the K6 and below, do not perform well in Quake based games. It's because of it's FPU and the fact that Quake based games are written to specificaly take advantage of the Intel FPU.

I would also stay away from the TGL with the version 6.x drivers. It work better with the 5.x drivers.

As far as config settings go, I haven't played around much with them yet.

Joel

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 06 October 2000).]
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I managed to get another 10-15fps by disabling SB16 emulation in hardware manager.

I now get a pretty playable 40+fps most of the time but I notice when the on-screen action goes down I can get up to 100 fps.

I agree about needing another 64MB RAM. Whenever I can afford it

Cheers

Jeff
      --
      AMD K6-III 450,
      32 MB G400 DH,
      64 MB RAM
      SB Live Value
      Samsung 606F DVD
      Zip Internal
      15GB HDD
      FIC Mobo with VIA chipset

Comment

Originally posted by fox:
        I managed to get another 10-15fps by disabling SB16 emulation in hardware manager.
        Jeff
        I didn't know this was possible! I wonder if that can affect my Pentium III 600 Mhz. Anyone else tried this yet? I am at work right now .
        Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

Comment

Working...
        X