Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stability testing with Q3A, is this a driver or Q3A bugg I am experiencing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stability testing with Q3A, is this a driver or Q3A bugg I am experiencing?

When I use this file to run Q3A in an endless loop I alwas get an error message after it has been runnig a little less than an hour

The thing is that I get this message even when I don´t overclock my system. Is it a Q3A or a driver problem?

My putter:
    Intel Pentium III 700 Slot1
    256MB(2*128) Mushkin High Perf REV 2
    Asus P3B-F motherboard
    Matrox Millennium G400 Max
    Creativ Soundblaster LIVE! Player 1024
    Running Win2k and Q3A ver 1.17

Looks to me like your OS is running out of memory. Ie Quake 3 is leaking memory and it is not being properly deallocated when the game engine terminates. The problem lies with the OS I would say in this case as it should deallocate all the memory that was assigned to a program when that program terminates, but seems to not be happeening here.
    All I can suggest for you to do is run Q3A once, instead of starting and quitting it hundreds of times ;]

Comment

Well, the loop consists of demo001 and demo002 which is run once after on another. So the only restarting I can see is that it loads the maps once for every run.

And it´s possible to just start the loop again(after I get the Z_Malloc error) and it will run just as long as it did in the first run.

Test the loop file and you will(probably) see what I mean

[This message has been edited by Erich (edited 07 November 2000).]

Comment

that is a memory leak that will always end your loop.

the best way to stability test using Q3A is to setup a single player game on a texture heavy map with as many bots as you can, and time/frag limit set to '0'. start the game, pull down the console with '~' and type '/follow botname' where botname is the name of a bot in the game. the game will go on until you stop it, and is a much more real world scenario.

[This message has been edited by LesterP (edited 07 November 2000).]

Comment

Of course it runs again, the memory leak is INSIDE Quake3, and when the game exits (or your loop exits) the memory is freed up. There's probably some buggy loop code in there somewhere that Carmack missed.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

LesterP: I will try that tomorrow for some houers...tanks...

Grum: I didn´t know that the memory leak was in the game itself, I presaumed it was but I wasn´t sure . So I thought I would post it here so you guys could share some of your wisdom.

Comment

I believe some leaks got fixed in the new beta point releases. Give them a try.

Comment

Working...
              X