New Beta OpenGL renderer from Epic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Beta OpenGL renderer from Epic.

It supports S3TC textures in OpenGl. Many Gefore and Radeon owners report good results. But how bout the G4x0? It prolly won't get as much imporvement, as it doesn't support S3TC. Anybody gonna try it?

Get the renderer <A HREF="http://unreal.epicgames.com/">HERE</A>
    P3 650@897 | Matrox G400 32mb SH @ 175/233 | 128mb PC133 | SB Live | winME

Already tried it yesterday. Just because it supports S3TC doesn't mean you have to use it. I will say this, it is more stable than the last beta that they released. It also generally seems to have fewer display bugs (although that may be partially due to Matrox's drivers?). At any rate, I was getting about 25-40 FPS at 1024x768x16, and suprisingly enough, just about the same in 32bit color. I did notice however that 16bit had some pretty severe bugs that would occur after about 5-10 minutes of playing.

I hope that they hurry up and finish it up soon cause it sure as heck looks a lot nicer than D3D does.

Anyway, it works, it just isn't quite up to the same level of stability and speed that D3D is, although it is getting VERY close.

So, go ahead and give it a try, you do have to do a little bit of manual tweaking in the ini's though.

Ian
    Primary System:
    MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
    120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
    Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
    Seccondary System:
    Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
    3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
    Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
    Tertiary system
    Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
    Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Yup, just got it working, although it needs a bit of tweaking in UnrealTournament.ini, NOT the advanced in-game Preferences. Every time i tried to adjust something in the in-game Prefs, it crashed & burned. So here is the OpenGL part of my ut.ini.

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
      RefreshRate=75
      DetailTextures=1
      UseTrilinear=1
      UseS3TC=0
      UseTNT=1
      LODBias=0
      UseMultiTexture=0
      UsePalette=0
      UseAlphaPalette=0
      Translucency=0
      VolumetricLighting=1
      ShinySurfaces=1
      Coronas=1
      HighDetailActors=1
      MaxAnisotropy=1
      AlwaysMipmap=0
      UsePrecache=0
      SupportsLazyTextures=1

Note : Try tweaking some settings, this is the first thing i got working, it isn`t optimal or anything, just dont disable UseTNT. Without it, i got no textures at all.

If ne1 finds a better config, post it here. BTW, what`s with the beta D3D posted on http://unreal.epicgames.com on Jan 19? Using that, i cant get it to work Full-screen, plus it looks ALOT like Software ( crappy ).

------------------
      Seth, are you ok ?
      I`m peachy, Kate. The world is my oyster.
      Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Which drivers are you guyz using? I'm using the 6.21's and I get bad texture corruption. Everything is erradically flashing and/or grabled. When I use the TurboGL 1.30 drivers, the texture flashing, but it's very stuttery and looks kinda ugly (thats prolly just gamma settings or something).

Looks like i finally have an excures to get off these 6.21's.

Comment

Did you enable UseTNT? When i had it disabled, i got NO textures. Everything was white/gray-ish with some color from the lights. Enable UseTNT. That`s all i can say. Look, copy the list i posted, paste it OVER the original in UnrealTournament.ini and see how that works. BTW, i just got another ini from the Matrox Tech support Forum, i`ll try it out now, and see if it works better.

Mind you, i didnt make any changes to OpenGLDrv.ini. HedsSpaz did. These are his configs. Funny, he posted them on the Matrox Tech Support Forum, and not here ....
          Shame on you, HedsSpaz
          Post the links to them here too ...

c u in 1/2 hour or so

------------------
          Seth, are you ok ?

Comment

Hey Evil_Donnyboy

TurboGL doesn't work with the latest drivers from Matrox try removing it and see what happens. I'm using the 6.50's with no problems (although I don't play UT)

Comment

Hmmm...this is odd...i tried your ini`s, HedsSpaz, although i noticed you had UseTNT disabled, but i figured, what the heck, i`ll try them anyway...and it turns out just as i suspected, no Textures...i enabled UseTNT, et voila! It works ... Are u sure it works well with your settings?

IMO the quality is better than D3D, and i didnt notice any slowdown in 32bit, but its still much slower than D3D ... i only tested it in 640x480, the defaults, approx 32 fps avg., while in D3D it was ~49 ( i think, i tested it a while ago, cant seem to find where i have written the results )

Yes, it seems i was late for the TGL too. Just as i found out such a thing even existed ( didnt have a clue what it was before), the 6.xx drivers were released, and they didnt support TGL. Supposedly, the OpenGL ICD that came with 6.xx PowerDesk was at the same level, if not better, than the TurboGL ICD. So i dont have any experience with TGL. Tried it once with UT, got garbage all over the screen, dark as a grave, no Gamma correction, texture corruption everywhere, so i gave up. AFAIK, the results in Q3 and UT dont differ when using PDesk 5.xx w/ TurboGL and PDesk 6.xx w/o TGL. So there you go.

------------------
              Seth, are you ok ?

Comment

Mine did good with the latest drivers and the following config.

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
                RefreshRate=75
                DetailTextures=1
                UseTrilinear=1
                UseS3TC=0
                UseTNT=1
                LODBias=0
                UseMultiTexture=1
                UsePalette=0
                UseAlphaPalette=0
                Translucency=0
                VolumetricLighting=1
                ShinySurfaces=1
                Coronas=1
                HighDetailActors=1
                MaxAnisotropy=1
                AlwaysMipmap=0
                UsePrecache=1
                SupportsLazyTextures=1

Here's a screen.

Joel

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 13 March 2001).]
                Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I don't notice the difference between OGL and D3D, with all settings equal. I if you see a diff, make sure you got equal settings in both D3D and OGL. I havnen't tested for speed, but they *feel* the same.

Comment

Working...
                  X