Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clandestiny (New Thread!)

Ok folks,

I pulled out my copy of Clandestiny the other day, wanting to finally finish it (for Nostalgia's sake).

The graphics are garbled - on the G400. They look fine on my brother's TNT2M64 (borrowed for reference). So what gives?

I tried the patch (yes, if you read the other thread I _did_ locate it on a partially corroded backup tape), which fixed the sound stuttering I was having, but not the garbled graphics.

I've been working with the Matrox tech support people on this, but so far nothing.

Here's what I have:

Dual P3-700@933 (yes, I tried it at 700 before complaining)
    MSI 694D Pro-AIR
    768MB PC150CL2 (3*256)
    G400 32MB DH (only one head enabled during gaming, of course!)
    Hercules GTXP (but I _did_ try the SB Live! and no luck there either)
    Adaptec 29160 SCSI (running the cd drives, so it can't come out)
    3COM 3c905B NIC
    Winnov Videum PCI Capture card. (Yes I took that out to see if it was the problem...)

Win2k SP1 (not trying this on Whistler, no!)
    Matrox drivers 5.52 (although I tried the 5.33's with no luck)
    Matrox BIOS 2.1 (tried it before updating from 1.9)

Any ideas?

The problem I'm seeing is that it looks like each successive line of video is shifted to the left half or three quarters of an inch. As you can imagine, this makes the video pretty unplayable!

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Maybe a silly question, but did you try it under a non NT-based OS? Clandestiny was between T7G and 11H (instead of Tender Loving Care), right?

Surely it was not constructed to run under... was it NT4 at that time? Especially if it's one of the DOS games cockled up to run under the then-new Win95. Those are the ones that seem impossible to run under current - or even recent - versions of Windows. (At least it gives some reason for the eternal repackaging of Myst...)

If it was a pure DOS game, you could try digging up a copy of the VBExt utility (I found it in the version 1.09 BIOS package) and running it in "autoexec.bat" (or however you'd do it under 2K). I know that the current drivers supposedly have VESA support installed, but I still get better results using the utility. Cleaned up my TR1 graphics, at least, among others. It might help you.

Good luck !

-----------------------------
    Holly

Comment

Jason, this TNT2, is that a PCI card or an AGP card? It sounds like you might have a problem with the AGP, IMO.

Especially since the game was made for Win95 (no AGP there, remember?), it could be that the game was made for and is trying to put images through the PCI slot.

Ofcourse, you could try one of the earlier G400 drivers & a lower DirectX version.

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Any links to where I can try this game or a demo of it myself?

Comment

Well, I fixed it (for those who care)!

What I did was get the latest beta patch for the 11th hour (available on Trilobyte's aging website), and installed it over the Clandestiny install.

There's a long story behind why I tried this, but the upshot is... it worked.

So thanks for your help, everyone!

- Gurm

------------------
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Thanks Holly, but...

1. Clandestiny was designed solely for Win95. It used DirectX 2 (the patch brings it up to DirectX 3) for video.

2. The patch helped with the audio (was playing fast and erratic with the DX2 code) on my Game Theater XP.

No, I haven't tried it under Win9x yet (don't have Win9x installed anywhere to test) but it works fine on my brother's machine (Win2k, TNT2M64) so it's not the OS.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Gurm, having the same problem with g400max in win2000... Doesnt happen with g200 in win2000 though... 11th hour patch works, but when u click on photos, clandestiny crashes

Comment

Hmm, I didn't go that far. I'll get back with Matrox Technical Support.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Did anybody ever get T7G working right in Windows? The artifacts are pretty bad, and I hate trying to beat the microscope.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

didnt bother with 7th guest, but 11th hour works nicely

Comment

Yeah, I've determined that the patch only makes the game start up and run, but it crashes when I try to play any of the puzzles. Dammit!

Of course it works fine on all non-G400 cards. Very weird.

- Gurm

P.S. Oh, well. I was looking for an excuse to get that Kyro2, right?

------------------

Comment

i hate how no review mentions crap about 2d quality. im afraid to get anything besides ati/matrox/3dfx, because i like my fonts crisp

Comment

Working...
                        X