HL + W2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL + W2k

Hi, I have been trying to get half life to work in Open GL. It used to (think back in the days of 5.33 drivers) but for some reason, with the 5.52 drivers, running MultiHead, i can only have it run in D3D, and even that is not viable as after the Single player game is loaded, i go back into the menu screen, and its black, as in i cant see a thing. hitting ESC again gets me back into the game, but it makes it hard to make save games that arent quicksaved. When i set it to OpenGL it tells me the video mode is not supported blah blah blah message (same one i get when trying to run HL in Linux). I have the most recent SP installed for W2k (SP1). Running an athlon system, with 256MB of ram. ANyone know what the problem is?
    Thanks

Frankfurt
    Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
    WinXP Professional SP1
    Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
    3COM 905C

Just uncheck extend desktop to this monitor in display properties and you should be set.

Rags

Comment

With the new "true" dualhead for win2k enabled, you cannot run OGL in Multi-dispay mode.
      You can only do that in the old "stretched" desktop mode, which was all the older 2k drivers supported.
      Try un-extending your desktop (or even better, totally disabling DH, which will require a reboot) to get it to run in OGL...

The new 2k "true DH" is more like the way win9x/me handles multi-display...You cannot run OGL with true DH enabled...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin,

the 5.52 drivers fixed that problem. I am playing OpenGL fine if I unextend my desktop and no reboot needed.

Rags

Comment

Thats all fine and good, i understand that, i really don't wanna have to reboot to play with OpenGl(i know that may be the only way)
          And rags, i did as you said, and i still get the GD message (i just went and tried it again, to make sure its still won't work, it doesnt ).
          So, perhaps rephrasing the question to how can i get it so i can see the menu screen in the game once ive loaded my save game; so that i can make changes to controls for example in D3D?
          Its very tedious to have to restart the game everytime i want to make changes to something.

In case your wondering i already finished the game, but thought id play through it again to reminisce as it were .

Frankfurt

[This message has been edited by Frankfurt (edited 10 May 2001).]
          Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
          WinXP Professional SP1
          3COM 905C

Comment

Strange, I have no problems at all playing HL with the 5.52 drivers.

Did you uninstall the 5.3 drivers using add/remove programs in the control panel before installing the 5.52 drivers?

Rags

Comment

Im not sure, but i would have to guess that I did, why?
              WinXP Professional SP1
              3COM 905C

Comment

Because it can cause problems, that's why.

Rags

Comment

so if i were to completely uninstall the drivers using the uninstall tool, then install the drivers as normal, things would be fine. Actually, this is what i think i did...installed on top of (probably the worst possible thing i could do...all i can say is i was probably not thinking at the time )

interesting aside...why include a add/remove programs tool for the drivers if it ends up causing problems when you use it.

Frankfurt
                  WinXP Professional SP1
                  3COM 905C

Comment

You misunderstood what I said.

Using add/remove is the correct way. If you don't do it this way, reboot, cancel when windows detects your card, run the setup for the new drivers, reboot, then you will have problems.

So do this: Go to add/remove programs, choose Matrox software and uninstall. Reboot, click cancel when windows detects your card. Run the setup for the 5.3 drivers, reboot, go back to add/remove programs and select Matrox software and uninstall, reboot, click cancel when windows detects your card, run the setup for the 5.52 drivers, reboot.

Rags

Comment

Cool, Ill try that, let you know how it goes (tomorrow though, getting late and im going to bed...i think its cool when replies come as fast as i enter my reply , anyways)

Frankfurt
                      WinXP Professional SP1
                      3COM 905C

Comment

Rags, thanks for the help. I must have incorrectly been playing with the drivers because when i did as you said, everything worked...i can now play HL in OGL again!
                        (was there ever any doubt, i mean unless things have changed significantly, you are a W2K Guru )

Thanks Rags.
                        Thanks for trying to help Kruzin, although i think that Rags had a better idea of what was happening, i do appreciate your help though
                        WinXP Professional SP1
                        3COM 905C

Comment

Glad to hear it worked for you.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                          X