Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400Max, OpenGL and Half-Life

I really am having some fun today

I've just reinstalled Half-Life after a three month break, patched it to the latest 1.1.0.6, and now I cant play in any mode of OpenGL. It tells me that "Your video card does not support this OpenGl mode." or similar message.
    DirectX works fine (except the usual breaks into two tiny screens with odd colors when you go out to the main screen and back again, etc).

I'm running Win98Se, Matrox 6.51 driver package, DirectX8.0a, HL with the latest patch.

Help!
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

For OpenGL to work you must:
    -be in 16 or 32bit, won't work in 24bit
    -have DualHead disabled
    -Have an IRQ assigned to the card in the mobo BIOS
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">(except the usual breaks into two tiny screens with odd colors when you go out to the main screen and back again, etc).</font>
      That is solved by having the desktop set at 16-bit color prior to running the game. At least, that is how I solved that problem.

Comment

Kruzin -
        It was, it was and it has. I was getting pants scores in 3dMark 2000 as well (1010).

As a starter I tried deinstalling and reinstalling, and hey presto! HalfLife loves OpenGL again and my 3dmark scores are back up to their normal (rather pathetic actually) 1750.

Thanks for the help anyway.
        What really makes me curious is that Unreal Tourney has been running happily in OpenGL mode for ages. Dunno why Half-Assed didnt work.
        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

> What really makes me curious is that Unreal Tourney has been
          > running happily in OpenGL mode for ages. Dunno why Half-
          > Assed didnt work.

Probably something to do with the OPENGL32.DLL file in your halflife root being a different version to the one Windows was wanting to use.

Comment

Working...
          X