Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to force refresh rate in playing D3D or OpenGL games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to force refresh rate in playing D3D or OpenGL games?

Everytime when I play any games (D3D or OpenGL) in full screen, even for resolution 640x480, I only get 60Hz refresh rate. I have to use third party software, PowerStrip to overrride this.

I am pretty sure my monitor can support upto 1600x1200@85Hz, but for default driver installation (PowerDesk 5.52 or 5.71) it still gives me 60Hz.

FYI, I'm running Win2k and WinXP Final, the results are the same, 60Hz.

Anyone know how to fix this?

PowerDESK can handle this for you.

1. Windows Display properties > Settings
    2. Switch to the problem screen+color resolution
    3. Click the Advanced button
    4. Click on the Matrox Monitor Setting tab
    5. Click on the Adjust the current display mode button
    6. Adjust refresh rate and click Next, following the rest of the onscreen instructions to save the setting

Repeat steps 2 thru 6 for each screen+color resolution that causes problems.

Comment

Never succeeded, even ALL resolutions are (preset, default) set to 85HZ. What went wrong anyway?!

Comment

You have to use the Matrox Monitor Settings tab, not the Windows Monitor tab. You'll know if you're using the right control if you can select 84Hz and 86Hz as well as 85Hz.

If you can only select standard refresh rates like 75Hz and 85Hz, you're on the wrong page and/or using the wrong controls.

Comment

You have to edit EACH res you wish to use in D3D/OGL in PowerDesk, even if it says that the refresh rate for that res is 85Hz or whatever .... edit it and save changes. Then it will work, the preset/default will only work for the Desktop, to gain that ref. rate you need to edit (doesnt matter how much, IIRC you can just change the rate to 84 and then back up to 85), just as long as you edit it ...
          Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

I have tried that and it led me to another problem, which supposed to be OFF TOPIC. After I set the new refresh rate and click Next, and then another "next" to confirm to save settings, then I received RUNDLL error [An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,3"]. So..... any registry hack to forcefully set those refresh rate for PowerDesk?

Comment

Working...
            X