Serious Matrox Driver Problems under XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Matrox Driver Problems under XP

I've had a thread at the official Matrox gaming forum for some weeks and looking through the other threads it seems to me that the Driver team there have some serious problems with the current XP driver.

The worrying thing is that so many of the threads show the same symptoms: Games randomly locking up, sometimes flashing colours on the screen and looping sound and having to reach for the Reset button.

1st suggestions seemed to lean towards a soundcard issue, now they are suggesting taking out RAM and swapping memory modules around! This has been suggested to more than one person but they surely can't believe that this is going to solve buggy Drivers.

What I want to know is..has anyone with these symptoms managed to solve them and how?

The Matrox forum has plenty of similar cases but no solutions and I want start Deus Ex

JE

I have problem with RtCW locks up while loading level, and the next level XP shews me a bug warning in one of the matrox drivers. BUT IMHO this is actually XP bugs, at least i hope so, because i bought my G450 (this is my second Matrox card) because of good and featured driver support. On the other hand - latest XP drivers is the same as W2K, right? Did you see such bug reports in W2k?
    We'd wait untill XP-SP1 released...

Comment

Have you been able to run other games fine under XP?

If so how much memory do you have and are you managing your own virtual memory settings? I think there is something funny going on inside XP because I'm supposed to be managing my own memory & I've set it to 956Mb but some system stats suggest that it's set to 1.5Gb and when I view the swap file it does appear to be 1.5! Also, i have 640Mb memory but DXDIAG states that I have 512Mb of available memory. Is this that old 9x upper memory limit again?

Maybe you're right..wait for XP SP1.

JE

Comment

I have 256Mb of Ram and about 260-384 pagefile under XP. Q3 and Diablo2 works fine, at least as under NT4. (except of A3D slowdowns in Q3, but i don't use it anyway =)

Comment

I haven't tried Quake III.

I'll give it a go tonight and see how I get on. I think that Quake uses OpenGL (am I right) as opposed to Direct3D but I can't remember and that's only what I've guessed from reading other peoples problems.

Have you had a go with Unreal/Deus Ex at all?

Try looking at your XP swap file and see if it's the size you expect it to be..I want to know if it's just me who is having this reported/actual size problem.

Check what I've been asked to do in the official forum...

Hi elliottja
          Can you try the card on a different system?
          Can you try another card in your system?

--------------
          Richard
          D3D/OGL group

Technical Support Rep

1) Yes, but judging by the number of similar problems in your own forum it isn't a hardware problem with my card

2) I might just have to do that if Matrox don't release their 'killer card' in the next year and don't get this XP problem sorted.

JE

Comment

Working...
          X