Customized modes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customized modes

I have WinXP & G450 with latest drivers (this one finally don't hangs randomly during boot up =).
    The problem is that some games (War3Beta, HMM4) can't use display modes which have customized frequency by powerdesk. But if i run the game, then switch to powerdesk and set apropriate refresh frequency, the game runs well with the refresh i set. So, where is the problem, is it games or powerdesk bugs?

Its a winXP thing...I don't know about the fix for a g450...but there are quite few floating around for other cards

Comment

And what about some patches from Microsoft to fix this bug? Anyone know?

Comment

I think the current fix's floating about the net for other cards, is to disable refresh rates below the one you want to use at the specified resoultion...(remove from moniter profile)

If possible you could try to change the referesh rate in opengl/directx...

I don't think MS consider it to be a bug, but it certainly has tripped up most video card manufacturer's
        Last edited by Marshmallowman; 4 April 2002, 00:21.

Comment

First, this isn't a bug really. XP and 2000 both do this.

Matrox is kind enough to include the Monitor settings tab in their drivers that, when used to customize modes that are used in games you play, keep your refresh where you want it whether you are on the desktop or in a game (OGL or D3D).

Rags

Comment

2 Rags: I don't understand you. There is no special monitor settings for games (am i blind?)
            So, the desktop works ok at any resolution and refresh rate i customized at desired refresh rate. But games can't use only that modes, which have default windows refresh rate (i.e. i have default 75hZ in 800x600, 1024x768, whereas monitor suppotrs 110Hz & 88Hz respectively).
            But, when i run HMM4 at 1024x768x16 at default refresh, then switched to matrox monitor settings tab and set desired 88Hz at 1024x768x16 and applied changes, then switch back to HMM4 - it shows me desired 88Hz!
            The same thing is in War3Beta. So if this is feature then for what???

It seems i finally understand that 'feature'
            WinXP (WIn2k?) have a checkbox at native monitor tab, disabling unsupporting video modes. If it unchecked, desktop can use any refresh you can set in matrox monitor tab, otherwise - not. But it seems that games always do such check and disable 'unsupported' modes.
            That happend because Microsoft was not kind enough to deal with real monitor parameters (such as maximum horisontal refresh rate, which exactly determines maximum vertical refresh rate) and uses only standard refreshes.

BTW, i just make myself another problem - desk.cpl crashes wahen i customize mode and returning to desktop. Damn, i can't set any refresh now
            Last edited by duke_srg; 4 April 2002, 22:55.

Comment

Working...
            X