Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surround gaming: 3 same resolutions needed ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surround gaming: 3 same resolutions needed ?

The image Matrox shows as a demo for surround gaming, all use three of the same monitors. Screenshots posted here are triple the width, but the same height overall.

Is a setup like this possible for surround gaming:
    [2][1][3]

where 2 and 3 have the same resolution, but 1 has a different (higher) one ?

If so, what happens on images 2 and three : a scaling of the image (e.g. you get to see the full height, but in lower resolution) or a crop (e.g. you only see the bottom lines, and lose the lines that cannot be displayed due to the lower resolution) ?

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 24 May 2002, 00:16.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Well since the image is stretched over the three monitors, and not *true* TripleHead is supported, I'm guessing you would have to use the same height on all desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by CuEdge
      Well since the image is stretched over the three monitors, and not *true* TripleHead is supported, I'm guessing you would have to use the same height on all desktops.
      That i correct, you have to have the same resolution on all 3 monitors. As you said Parhelia don't support real TriHead at this point in time, but it has real DualHead..
      <font size="1">Game system: P4 1.8@2.4 - Asus P4S533 - 512 MB DDR333 - 30Gb IBM hd - AOpen Geforce 3 Ti200 - 19" Samsung SyncMaster 900SL plus
      Work computer: IBM ThinkPad T23 - 1,13GHz Intel P3 - 640Mb Ram - 30Gb hd - S3 Savage.
      Server: 566 MHz Celeron - 640Mb SDRAM - 130Gb hd space - Matrox G100</font>

Comment

This is going to make surround gaming exensive....

I was hoping that the resolutions of 2 and 3 could differ from the resolution of 1 (even if this would mean displaying cropped views), but alas...

Thanks!

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Yeah, I got 2 x 19"s at the moment. Once can do 1600x1200, the other 1280x960 (well, it can do 1600, but it's crap).

In Windows, it's actually annoying to have two monitors sized physically equal, but in games it doesn't matter

And, like you say to the contrary, having different sized monitors will be annoying in games.

I'll need to buy another 2 x 19" with UXGA capability
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Don't forget, you have to choose the resolution within the games (e.g. 3840x1024). How do you want to set different screen-resolutions? They must fit together so that you can create a new one.

Comment

Well, if you don't mind omitting part of the image, which would make it look something like

..[1]..
              [2][1][3]

(with no monitor on the dotted positions, and 2 and 3 only displaying the bottom parts (resp. right and left) of the image), it could be possible... :-)

(consider it a inverted T-shaped window on the full rectangular image)

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

I would think you couyld have them at different resolutions just not in Matrox's enhanced modes. Wouldn't the card be able to do a normal three monitor setup as if it was just three seperate cards?

Comment

It wouldn't be the video card having trouble, but the game. The game is almost certainly not built to render in 2 different resolutions.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

not yet anyways
                    System 1:
                    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                    Epox 8K7A
                    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                    SBLIVE 5.1
                    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                    3Com Hardware Modem
                    Teac 20/10/40 burner
                    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Yeah, let's badger game devs to include this support (for PPro-1024 at least )

P.
                      Meet Jasmine.
                      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
                      X