• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TDB
    is it playable at that setting?
    Yes

Rags

Comment

I'm still contemplating whether or not to purchase this game for myself and from the looks of those screen shots WOW! The game has stunningly beautiful detail and pixel shaders oh my I think I'm going to get this game title soon after all!
      Hardcore PC gamer with a sweet tooth for EXTREME eye candy!

Comment

Originally posted by APEXNETHOR
        I'm still contemplating whether or not to purchase this game for myself and from the looks of those screen shots WOW! The game has stunningly beautiful detail and pixel shaders oh my I think I'm going to get this game title soon after all!
        I wouldn't buy a game just because of the graphics.... but this game is great, you can do whatever you like there, the world is huge but IMHO many places are looking too similar. I would have liked if they could include more different looks of the enviroment, the cities and so on.
        Specs:
        MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

I yeah I agree with what you said on graphics alone not making a game a good game. I know two people that have it and they have ben relaying to me that this game is fantastic minus a multiplayer mode though which was sort of a bummer to hear of course. But I just can't get enough of that detail Morrowwind has to offer I love it.
          Hardcore PC gamer with a sweet tooth for EXTREME eye candy!

Comment

Re: How to display FPS

Originally posted by Zao
            In the Morrowind INI file there are a settings called Show FPS which defaults to 0, set it to one and stroll around a bit in Balmora and tell me what FPS(min/max) you get.

On my box I get around 9-15 fps, which is unplayable...
            I have to stare at the ground to be able to navigate the town.

My specs are:
            P4 2.0 GHz
            GF3 Ti500 64MB
            512MB
            WinXP
            I do really hope the Parhelia will make it playable.
            Apparently this game requires a really strong GPU. I've an Athlon XP 1900 +, GF4 Ti4600, and the game flies at 1024X768x32, with 64-tap anisotropic filtering, trilinear filtering, shadows 100%, no FSAA (which is really blurry on my GF4 and detracts so much from the anisotrop that I don't need or want it), and looks very good. There's quite a difference between the GF4 4600 and the GF3 500, apparently, as our cpus have roughly the equivalent processing horsepower.
            Last edited by WaltC; 28 June 2002, 15:11.
            I'm uh....C, Walt C.

Comment

Waltz: You can tick the "delete post" checkbox just at the top of the "edit post" screen and then delete your own post, if you don't want it to be displayed anymore

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                Waltz: You can tick the "delete post" checkbox just at the top of the "edit post" screen and then delete your own post, if you don't want it to be displayed anymore

AZ
                Thank you, az... These eyes aren't what they used to be.
                I'm uh....C, Walt C.

Comment

There is a reason Morrowind runs soooooo slow, even on highend systems. Actually there are two according to the peeps 'in the know (tm)' over at the morrowind forums.

1. The game engine renders from back to front instead of the normal front to back, and that means rendering then _all_ objects every time, even those that are totally invisible to the player.
                  2. Water is there always. Even dry land sits on top of water, and because of 1. it altso gets rendered.

So... A massive resource hog of a game that doesn't scale very well on highend systems. You can go from 800 to 1600 without virtually any fps hit.

Comment

btw. Can any of the non-NDA peeps give a hint about Morrowind performance on the Parhelia? Smoothness, fps (even though it's not the important factor if gameplay is smooth) and picture quality with all goodies turned to the max.

On a XP1900+ with the original GF3 it runs ~20-25 fps in balmora without any form of FSAA or other goodies, and it's _really_ choppy. Graphics stuttering all over.

Thanx in advance

Comment

Well I cant give any FPS with the current build im using right now but I can say that with pixel shader etc on game runs great on my P, very smooth and im only running a T-bird 1 ghz@ 1.33

AMD Athlon 1800 XP@ 1680GHZ (only the best) on a Epox 8K7A, 512 megs PC2100DDR, Matrox Parhelia 128 AGP,Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, DSL BABY, 1250 Down/220 UP XP 2600 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Jediphx
                        and im only running a T-bird 1 ghz@ 1.33
                        Only? LOL
                        "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
                        Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
                        DriverHeaven administrator
                        PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

Zao, I have to run it at 800x600x32 and a really near view distance for the thing to be playable and I still get massive stutters.

This is on a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 which is on loan from Best Buy until my Parhelia gets here. CPU is a 800 Mhz T-Bird @ 950....

-D
                          "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                          --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

well I just ran Morrowind at 1600x1200 with FAA 16x as well as pixel shader and no jerkyness

Way to go P
                            AMD Athlon 1800 XP@ 1680GHZ (only the best) on a Epox 8K7A, 512 megs PC2100DDR, Matrox Parhelia 128 AGP,Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, DSL BABY, 1250 Down/220 UP XP 2600 Pro

Comment

Uhmm...
                              I'd be curious to see a pair of screenshots of Morrowind on the Parhelia: one of the Ghostgate and the other one of the flying isle in Vivec.

Can someone post them?
                              Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Found a nice little program written by a Morrowind fan that was tired of the choppy gameplay. It's a program that adjusts view distance dynamic to keep fps within a given interval. Works just splendid. Only "bug" I found so far it that it is a bit slow to adjust view distance when going from indoor->outdoor. Other than that life is good

Hope this helps some of the unfortunate

Comment

Working...
                                X