Surrond gaming in da house...Sorta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surrond gaming in da house...Sorta

OK, set up surround gaming on the weekend, put in 2 good-quality second hand monitors, assembled the corner desk, plopped everything on top, hooked it all together, and tried it out with UT2003.

Well…

It was OK I suppose…

Not really worth the fuss, especially the desk real-estate. I suppose if the flanking monitors were LCD, with really thin edges, it would have been better, but 2 17” CRT’s and a central 19” just didn’t do it for me. And the stretched desktop was a pain!

Sorry, but even having set this up, I don’t see it as a worthwhile venture.

I still love my Parhelia, but it’s single monitor all the way for me, unless I win the lottery, and can afford some 19” LCD’s! (With RGB plugs, of course!)
    Life is a ride
    Like days on a train
    Cities rush by
    Like ghosts in the night

I use the same setup as you and definitly I think you need LCD to enjoy it, otherwise the gap between the 2 screen is to wide and spoil the effect, at least in fps.
    Try NWN (if you have it) i found in that particualr game it doesnt bother as much.
    Athlon64 4800+
    Asus A8N deluxe
    2 gig munchkin ddr 500
    eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
    X-Fi Fatality
    HP w2207

Comment

Moved to Matrox Gaming
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I just put in the same sort of set up. Actually find it works great, but for desktop work dualhead independent is possibly better. Will have to experiment some more.

Only problems I have are (1) the two side monitors are currently lower than the centre one (there on their boxes - gotta get a desk next weekend!) and (2) one of the refurbed hand 17" (Dell badged Sonys) screens has its colour way off - no amount of adjustment can fix it it seems. So I think it's going to be a return to the vendor on that one (luckily I bought them from a reputable dealer!)

Still playing....
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Try a game which uses each screen individually - more impressive then

Comment

Any particular titles in mind Steve?

Can't wait until Serious Sam SE gets it's patch - I think that they are aiming for proper multi-viewport rendering.

Gnep

Comment

I think i might very well rather lose a nut than lose surround gaming in bf 1942 now.

Im on normal 17" monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                Any particular titles in mind Steve?...
                I tried out these demos a while back and was impressed (since I've moved though, I have no room for 3 crts )

Comment

Thanks! I will see if I can dig out the demos from coverdisks... (I am still on dialup!)

Gnep

Comment

By the way - it looks like the SS:SE patch is on its way v soon: http://www.croteam.com/

Comment

Dudes,

My girlfriend thought I was insane for wanting to have three monitors on one desk. We went from one 21" job to three 17" screens. I was sad to lose the extra 4 inches, but you know what? I gained an extra 34"!!!

And what's even better is she loves it now. I am still in awe of the surround mode ... from the Reef Demo, to Asheron's Call 2, its incredible.

The three 17" Trinitrons (refurbished) only cost $45 a piece.
                      Main PC
                      Athlon XP 2500+ | GA-7N400-L | 1.0GB PC3200 | Radeon 9800XT & 9000 | SoundBlaster Audigy | TRIPLE 17" NEC 1760Vs!

Home Theater PC
                      AthlonXP 2500+ | Chaintech 7NIL1 | 1024MB PC2700 | RADEON 9700 | SoundBlaster Audigy | Coolermaster ATC-610 HTPC Case | 61" Sony TV

Comment

Working...
                      X