No announcement yet.

HL + new drivers. Any problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuno- Thanks for the input. I was just about to give the win 98 re-install a try, but I won't waste my time.

I looks like it's a pretty solid problem, and there's not much you can do to get rid of it. Looks like we'll have to wait for .....

"G200 ICD FINAL RELEASE REV 2"

and it will probably be out near 2002.

Comment

Wow, miss a day come back and get a bunch of input. Thanks guys!
      To all the guys that have problems I looked at your specs and it seems that a few of you have Celerons on an Abit BX6, Mill G200, Win98, directx 6.1. Maybe Helvetia and some others should post there specs too and compare.
      Whisper and Kruzin what are your specs?

Comment

There is same problems with newest Voodoo2 drivers. So maybe it's not PD5, maybe it's in HL.

Micko,

Comment

I run an AMD6-2-400 with a Mystique G200. I play HL all the time. Prior to PD5, I didn't have the texture problems Nuno and Helevita have shown. After PD5, I had the same problem. Then I took Kruzin's advice and downloaded SciTech's OpenGL.dll and Glu.dll in my Window's System directory. Since, "knock on wood," I have not had the problem come up again, even after hours of HL play. My 3DMark99 scores dropped however. Right after PD5, I got 2326. Since I put the .dll's in my systems file, my score has dropped to 2032, but my cpu mark is high. So, I will take the lower 3DMark99 score, for a more stable game play.

Comment

I am getting the same texture corruption problem in Kingpin as well. I didn't even know it was corruption until I read this post It's only shown up for me at the top corners of the walls during the cutscenes. It could be an Open GL specific bug, and not G200 based, but I have seen Kingpin on a TNT and TNT2 and there's no corruption. I have also had some odd crashes during resolution switching. My box locks up and a bunch of blue/green pixels are left on a black screen.

Millenium G200 8mb - not OC'ed
            PIII 450 - Soyo SYBA+ - 128mb SDRAM
            Yamaha XG - Intel Pro 100 NIC
            PD 5 - Win98 SE

Comment

Rectangular corruption on some textures (is it just animated ones btw?)

Just thought that I would point out that I'm getting the exact same problems with textures on:

Celery 300A, mystique 8mb agp,
              bh6, 64Mb ram, win98, bios 2.2 (ill try updating it but i know it wont make a difference), dx 6.1, quantum 6.4gb EX,
              Network card 3Com ethernet something,

Nothing overclocked and I followed the uninstallation procedure to a T. even removing extra monitors registry settings etc.

It is a bit faster though. and much more stable, i can exit and change resolutions as much as i want.

Funny thing is i played and completed halflife with icd beta1 - had no problems whatsoever as long as i didnt press esc.

NotJim

Comment

Okay guys, count me in on the texture problems... the only fun thing I found with these corruptions, is that if you use the flashlight & point it towards such a corruption, it lights back at you, especially in dark passages

My system?
                PIII-450, 256 Mb RAM, Asus P2B, bios 1.009, Mystique G200 8Mb OEM, bios 2.3, PD5.13, DX6.1a

Jorden.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Guess my theory was wrong, but I'm probably not going to try the drivers until there are some new Vid Tools because I have a Marvel.

Comment

Hey Guys.... I been playing HL on the g400 for a couple days now and I haven't seen this kind of texture problem yet. I did have the G200 and when I updated to PD5.13 I had tons of problems. Now, since I got the G400 in, all HL texture problems are gone.

But... it does lock up every now and then, but not in games. Screen savers and such.

Comment

Got my G400 32 meg yesterday and first thing I tried was TFC (my fav game right now). Cranked up to 1152x864 and got on a quick server. I got occaisional pauses but not so bad it hurt playing. Plus I think a lot of it was the server. It looks tons better than my Voodoo 2 card did at 800x600. It is just wonderful!

BTW, I've got a P-II 400 (soon to be P-III 450), 256 meg RAM

Comment

I just read in Hardware forum that there are problems with newest drivers and Celerons. Maybe this is why Celeron guys have bad textures in HL.

Comment

Tn- I believe that the drivers that have big celeron issues are the beta drivers that aren't released yet - the drivers beyond 5.13. At least that's what I read in one message over on the hardware forum.

Though, it wouldn't suprise me if that were the case.

Comment

Tn,

Unless you're talking about the G400's and not the G200's, I am almost certain that the texture corruption problems in HL, Kingpin and other Quake 2 Engine games with the new drivers are not confined to Celerons. Because I haven't got one.

Filmgeek

Comment

I don't think that it is a celeron problem. That thread in the HW forum is based on a rumor. Several of the beta testers run celerons, and there is no celeron specific problem that has shown itself in the betas.

Try modifying (or creating) HL's autoexec.cfg file in HalfLife\valve and \TFC folders. Add or change this setting:

gl_texturemode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"

I seem to recall (and I may be off on this) that the only way to get this texture setting is by doing it in the autoexec. The in-game options don't go this high. This is the setting I have always used, and I only rarely see any corrupt textures on the G200 (never on the G400)
                              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

After playing a bunch of multiplayer games and having no problems, I decided to try the single player game again and see if I was having the same texture problems.

Not only did I have the same texture problems (only near the entrance of the anomalous materials lab though), but when I went to SAVE my game I crashed to the desktop with an Open GL error. Looks like this software needs more work.

And when are the new Video Tools out? I miss my TV tuner, etc.

P3 1GHz, 512Mb RAM (PC133), Asus CU4VX motherboard (VIA Chipset), Matrox Marvel G200, DiamondMax Plus 30.0Gb 7200rpm ATA100, Tekram SCSI UW controller, SCSI Zip drive, Creative 12X PCDVD, Yamaha 8824 CDRW

Comment

Working...
                                X