• Time
  • Show
Clear All

... and rising ...

------------------
    CU,
    Maggi
    Millenium G400 32MB DH

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

still working on my first unit here.
      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

It seems that the whole SETI project is ways behind the reality. We've actually 4440 units completed instead of the 4122 displayed.

Helmchen

Comment

Oi! You are right!
          Those units showing on the page are already confirmed to be right so that shouldn't affect the total saldo.

This one calls for a naggin' mail..

_
          B

Comment

I thought about joining in on your project here, but then I thought again.. What if we actually FOUND aliens? Do not ever forget the most important law of nature for any of us animals (yes we are animals, as are likely the most intelligent of possible aliens): ONLY THE STRONGEST SURVIVE.

Think about it.

------------------
            Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

If we found any, do we have any reason to assume thast they would be hostile? Most likely our environment is not suitable for aliens (unlike in Hollywood motion pictures) so isn't Universe simply big enough for two 'intelligent' races?

_
              B

Comment

Not to go all theological and such, but don't you think that GOD(substitute with your favorite deity)'s love is so limited that he/she only has enough for one small insignificant planet? I don't think so. We can't be alone in the universe. Besides, I'm of the firm belief that there's more than one universe out there, sitting side by side with ours, only in a slightly different dimension. Where else could all those lost/forgotten items disappear to?

Guyv
                Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                - 6.1 Digital Audio
                - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                - LS120 IDE Floppy
                - Zip 100 IDE
                - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                - NEC FE950
                - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Alright, ~20(+ time I'm on comp and when it is off) hours until I get my 1st unit done! Whohoo!
                  Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Guyver, you will like a webpage my friends and I are coming up with.
                    Anyway let's do the math billions and billions of stars, each star has atleast a few planets(if you average it out), and the question is "What are the chances of there not being other life out there?" and NOT "What are the chance of life being out there?"
                    Also look at Earth, there a whole bunch of animals living in harmony with each other. So there is a 50/50 chance that an alien race will be either violent or friendly. Although if an alien race was aggresive enough to create intergalactic starships you have to wonder why they were so eager to leave their planet in the first place...

Comment

believing that there is ONE intelligent liveform sounds somewhat limited to me. When there is one why not 10, 100 or millions. And the chance that they are friendly is exact 100% just as the chance that they are hostile. The question is: Can they reach us.

Helmchen

[This message has been edited by Helmchen (edited 09-05-1999).]

Comment

This is interesting. Considering the number of wars that go on at any given time with other members of our own species, why would you assume that all segments of humanity would welcome aliens with open arms? While I would like a wonderful, benevolent universe just as much as the next person, sadly, we must deal with reality. The reality is that agression in some form drives the survival of every species or even a race within that species. You don't need to be a Darwinian scholar to see this. Watch a nature show the next time you get a chance. Look at how the animals behave and why they survive.. now look at how humans behave.. which humans tend to reproduce? Which produce successful offspring? Which do not? How are we weakening our gene pools by attempting to "cheat" Mother Nature with technology?

Alright, it really is a good idea to look for evidence of alien radio transmissions, simply because we would know they are there. Unfortunately, there is always that naive tourist who thinks the bears are "oh so cute" and tries to feed them. He gets eaten. What happens when one sweet human sends a radio message back to a race of aliens which is even 20 years (a nanosecond in cosmic time) more advanced than we are? Well, what would have happened if Germany had had tanks in WWI or jet bombers with hydrogen bombs in WW2?

The point is, it's simply a law of nature. The strong and agressive elements in a society tend to dominate it. Is Bill Gates an advanced and intelligent human?.. yeah. Did he still take every opportunity to aggressively gain advantage over everyone he met? Absolutely! That's why he's the richest man on the planet.

Gentlemen and Ladies, simply understand the gravity of what you are doing. It is not something idly to be played with. It might be fun to tell everyone how many units you've completed, but yours is an ominous task and a responsibility which is perhaps greater than any ever known on this planet before.

I pray you do not find anyone else out there. Though I fear you will someday, unless they find us first (God knows we aren't hiding) For if you do, we will either be destroyed or utterly dominated by them, or conversely, we will utterly destroy or dominate them. Perhaps we will have acquired both the wisdom and the power of the Gods by that time, and will survive. At least I hope so.

------------------
                        Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Remember that if SETI@home project would find anything, that would mean that the other civilization is at least thousands of years older than us. (just think of the signals travelling in space)
                          Because of that, I do not doubt a second that they already know about us, thanks to their superior technology. And we still exist don't we?

SETI@home project will not find any species younger than us, unless they have reverted back to the 'stoneage' after the signals that we cought left their planet.

_
                          B

Comment

Calm down your paranoia!

If they will come in our life, they've found us thousands of Years ago, therefore what we are doing concerns the earth in a time where the human being has either removed himself from this planet or can for his own travel to the stars. So there is no need to pray that the aliens won't kill us (Why?, there are millions of planets like the earth out there) better Pray that your neighbor won't kill you - the chance are far greater than the chances that we'll find any aliens, contact them, invite them, and then let us kill from them.

Helmchen

Comment

LOL

------------------
                              Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Haven't you watched Babylon 5?

It's all going to be just fine..

_
                                B

Comment