X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/unix.html

Go down to

i386-winnt-cmdline.exe:

I believe most people are using that one, it will work on Windows 98 and NT.

I do not know if an Athlon will do better with:

i486-nonintel-winnt-cmdline.exe:

I do not use an Athlon, so may be someone who does will give you a better answer.

As far as using the -verbose command, I had forgotten about that. I never use it because it constantly provides visual updates. I felt that this could be extra overhead, so I stopped using it.

My time to finish a WU seems to be ok with the system I have, so I will not add any switches or commands. If it ain't broke, I'm not going to fix it.

P.S. => I roughly calculate when each WU will be fininshed each day by simply adding 5 1/2 hours to the first WU of the day, or last one done the day before. I can roughly calculate when each WU will be finished for a day and a half in advance.

It now takes less than 5 1/2 hours to finish a WU, but that number is easier than to use 5 1/4 hours as an average.

Swing

[This message has been edited by Swing (edited 20 July 2000).]

Comment

For everybody ou there adjusting their clock multiplier, which gold finger device are you using?

I'm in the market, so I thought I'd find out which is the best.

GnrlData

Comment

GnrlData:

If you are talking about the clock multiplier for SlotA Athlons or T-Birds then you could try liberator 2 from <a href="http://www.buyoverclocked.com">www.buyoverclocked.com</a>. Its the cheapest I could find at $25US. Its powered by the cpu so no cords to mess with and it worked pretty well for me. I have also tried Maxmizer from <a href="http://members.home.net/roadrebel/max/">RoadRebel</a>(compact, set it and forget it) and AfterBurner from <a href="http://www.outsideloop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=olcomp&Product_ Code=AFTERBURNER&Category_Code=OC-CARD">OutsideLoop</a>(easiest to use but costly). One of the MURCers, Greebe, also sells Athlon OC device, too. Give him a shout at the "General HardWare" Forum and see what he can offer you and also for some expert advice.

Make sure you have an AMD approved 300watt powersupply or you will run into lotz headaches. Been there and Done that!

Good Luck!

BTW, nice surge with your SETI wu's. You are #2 now in weekly wu's!

Comment

Sir HiTech:

Where do you find out the info on weekly WUs? Is there a stats page somwhere?

GnrlData

Comment

GnrlData:

Go to <a href="http://seti.matroxusers.com/">http://seti.matroxusers.com/</a> and do 7days and Total Delta WU's.

I guess those Xeon's are all running at full speed 7/24 now? I will have a dual xeon machine running SETI next month and I am trying to talk my friend(whos the Network Admin at local university) into letting me run seti on the 30+ PIII machines in the computer lab... Well, maybe wishfull thinking..

Comment

Sir Hitech,

You could ask your network admin to let you use one computer so that he will see that there are no slowdowns, interruptions or problems.

Then he may let you use more computers.

Comment

Swing:

I know he knows that Seti is not going to be a burden for his systems. He was running some number crunching clients on those machines sometime ago.

The key to getting my seti clients on those machines: BRIBE! I have a modefied PlayStation with over forty cd's he might be interested... wish me luck!

Comment

You've go it! Good luck.

Comment

Both Assimilator and Chuck mentioned that looping Unreal or UT would be a good way to stress a system. I can do this with Quake 2 and 3, but I don't know how to do this with UT. I asked on the gaming forum, and people don't know what I'm talking about.

Detailed instructions would be appreciated. Console commands, if I need any additional files to be downloaded, how I go about adding bots, etc.

I've played UT in single player mode a few times, and use it for benchmarking, but I'm not as familiar with it as I am with Quake. Any help would be appreciated, particularly from the guys who use it as a stress test.

Thanks.

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Paul,

UT is always a stress test. Even the slightest instability results in a complete failure. For "stress testing" you normally only need to run the intro, it restarts if it comes to the end, you propably know that. Some us the "UTBench" for stability testing but i found it to be not much more stressing than the intro. If the intro crashes- UTBench crashes, if intro runs then UTBench runs.
                      If you want to see your FPS during the intro just hit TAB and write "timedemo 1".

Mega
                      K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
                      G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

I have no problems running the intro. What I was hoping to do was stress the system to heat things up over a long period of time, while monitoring temperature.

Thanks.

Paul
                        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Paulcs

For UT all you need to do is to setup a Botmatch with the maximium number of bots.

Startup a practice session,tick autolevel switching ,go to bots a select 16 bots (I think thats the max number).You have to change yourself to a spectator or it won't start at the next level.
                          Then just start it & let it run for at least 3hrs ,if it's still running it OK after that then there's a very good chance that your system is fine

------------------
                          I guess I won't recruit for my team here TA

Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
                          2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

Thank you!

(By the way. The bot I'm following sucks. She's constantly getting killed. )

Paul
                            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

But as i said,

if the inro runs you'll be able to run the botmatch for years!

Mega
                              K6-3 400Mhz@450Mhz
                              G400 16MB, 192MB Ram and so on

Comment

Hi Megaman. I'm not testing for stability. I just want something entertaining to run as I monitor temperatures while the system is stressed. I should have been clearer.

I'm testing the cooling potential of a dual fan 450 Watt power supply for a review. I'm not running it on my Athlon system (because I think I fried my TBird ). It's on a PIII/VIA system that I've accidently run the intro on for hours (I started UT up, walked away because it takes so long to load, and forgot I had it running), and it's been rock solid.

Knock on wood.

Paul
                                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
                                X