Option on 450 PC's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jorden,
    I've been having problems with firewalls and proxys lately as we have just updated.

I have to send my data through the proxy which slows down the transfer to the speed of a modem, we have a 2mb link as well.
    Browsers worked ok, but I had to change the hosts.sam (win98) files to "h9 192.168.1.x" which is our private firewall/proxy server. After that everything worked fine.

Also looking at the firewall statistics the data transferred to and from the seti ip is minimal compaired to the regular web/email/ftp traffic.

breezer
    Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Jorden

>>>>already told me I could infect the PCs for as long as I'm posted there <<<<

Oh Sh*t! ,nooooooooooooooooooo
      Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
      2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

Jorden,
        1. Do you have any remote control/access software on your network,
        if so you could use one of the many caching progs to store units, access the machines periodically, retrieve the completed units and place some more on the machines.

2. In the users login scripts copy the local seti directory or files to the network and replace them with new work units.

3. Another method would be to setup a machine on the internal net and get the pcs to transmit units to that, I don't know of any software that will do this though. If your net is totally private you could change some dns info to rename the seti dns as the ip on your machine (i would not recommend this though).

breezer
        Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Stay right here dudes! No-one leaves the building before Jorden gets those PC's crunching!

Couldn't you try to install SetiQ (or some other WU caching program) on your own workstation? See Rattledagger's or TA's SetiQ FAQ's.

Martin

Comment

Thanks breezer

But it seems I have other problems there as well: Most PC's running Win95 (the updated y2k version), with a lot of people who have access to the internet, but are not allowed to use it un-supervised.

I wonder if there's a way to send their data to my personal PC at work. Might be something to ask the PC/LAN group, as they already told me I could infect the PCs for as long as I'm posted there

(It tests PC speeds and line speeds as well, somehow)

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Sorry, had to cancel the project. Not because seti was interfering with the network, but something else that we don't know yet is. We had a lot of downtime on the network and a couple of PCs today. So I cancelled seti large for the moment. Maybe later this week that I can get the results from the infected PCs.

Jord.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
              X