Setiproxy help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setiproxy help

Can anyone give me some pointers on getting this working??

I have one system running win2k that has internet access. I have one system running winNT4.0 that does not have internet access, but has access through the network to the win2k box.

So, do I install Setiproxy on both machines?

I looked through the install and config guides, but I must be dense, 'cuz I don't quite get it..

ICQ me if you would rather...

thanks

amish
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Only the machine with the connection to the internet needs setiproxy running. Let's call that machine the server. You have to get a Java Runtime Environment from http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/jre/ first, and install it on the server. Type "java" at a command prompt to see if it's installed correctly.

Next, unzip the setiproxy files into a new directory, let's use c:\setiproxy as an example. From a dos box, execute the following command:

Code:
    c:\setiproxy\java -cp setiproxy.jar SetiHome.Konsole
    Setiproxy is now running on your machine. You now have to configure it. To do this, open your web browser, and point it to
    Code:
    http://(server's ip address):8083
    . This will bring up the configuration screen. Here you can set all your options, such as max workunits on stock, network configuration, and connection schedule. The most important thing is the administrate clients section. Here, you must add the ip address of each machine that will be working through setiproxy. If you don't want to do this, go to the options page and check "add clients automatically". Finally, go back to the main page and click "connect to seti@home" to build your cache of workunits.

Now, to configure your client machines, you have to use the switch -proxy (server ip address):8081. If you want to run a seti client on the server machine through setiproxy, it can also be configured this way.

I hope that clears things up. Let me know if you need any more help.

Oh, Pace, if you want to clean this up and throw it on your website, feel free. Just gimmie credit for it, k?

Edit: cleaned up ubb crap
    ------------------
    Andrew
    Carpe Cerevisi

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 03 November 2000).]
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Ok, I've got the configuration box up and configured, but I don't see a "Connect to Seti@Home" button...

I have the following settings:

Local port 8081
      Proxy checked
      Address of the server, my machine (204.228.151.211)
      IP-Port 8080

What about the Authentication? Is that required?

On the proxy setup for the client, do I just put in the address of my server and the 8081 port?

I get the following error in the log when I start SetiProxy:

"No user with complete look-up data. Work units could not be loaded."

amish

[This message has been edited by Electric Amish (edited 03 November 2000).]

Comment

It may not display if it's set to automatically connect. It should show up directly below the administrat clients button.

------------------
        Andrew
        Carpe Cerevisi
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

In the options screen, you should leave the local port at 8081. The proxy option refers to a corporate proxy server, not setiproxy. Only check off the proxy option if your corporate lan has a proxy server, and the authentication stuff is for proxies that require authentication. If your server machine has a direct connection to the internet, leave the proxy section unchecked.

------------------
          Andrew
          Carpe Cerevisi

Comment

Administrate clients button???

I don't have one of those either....

Hmmmm...

I turned off the proxy setting.

I get a "Can't connect to server" error from the client machine...

The only buttons I have are a "New" "Delete" and "Reconnect" under the Client list window.

amish

Comment

You don't have that button? Are you using the console version or the gui version of setiproxy? In mine, as soon as I go to the admin web page, I get the following options across the top: Main, Administrate clients, Options, Display logs. Next line: Connect to SETI@Home, Stop proxy. What does yours look like?

------------------
              Andrew
              Carpe Cerevisi

Comment

I'm using the GUI.

It has a FILE, OPTIONS, INFO drop down menus.

File->Clearlog
                File->exit

Options->Network
                Options->General
                Options->Internet

Info->Info

There's a window that lists all the clients and under that there's a "New", "Delete",and "Reconnect" button.

There's a log window on the bottom.

In the upper right corner there is a list of Seti Stats and an "Info" button that tells you about the WU's thatr are waiting to be sent and waiting to be processed.

amish

Comment

Ok, I ran the Konsole version and I think the Reconnect button on the GUI and the Connect to Seti@home are the same buttons. When I click on "Connect to Seti@Home", nothing happens and I get:

"No user with complete lookup-data. Workunits could not be loaded" in the log.

amish

Comment

I think that means you have to connect to setiproxy with a client before it will be able to pull wus from berkeley. It basically needs the info in user_info.sah before berkeley will give it units, and the only way for setiproxy to get this info is by a client that already has a user_info.sah connecting through it. If you have a copy of this file, drop it into your client directory and try to connect via "-proxy 204.228.151.211:8081". Or, if you have a machine that's been running seti previously, run it with the -proxy switch, and setiproxy will start transmitting right away. Let me know if this works.

------------------
                    Andrew
                    Carpe Cerevisi

Comment

Thanks for all the help!

I dropped the user_info.sah into the client Seti folder. Still no go. I get a "cannot connect to server(error -26,2)" error from the client. SetiProxy still gives the same error.

I have my server crunching, but it's not ready to connect yet. I have it set up to connect to proxy 127.0.0.1:8081 when it's finished.

Damn! This sucks!

amish

Comment

If you can fool with ip addresses without it affecting the rest of your network you could try to use win2k's ICS
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Unfortunately, the IP's gotta stay.

amish

Comment

Ok, the client that is running on the server was able to connect and SetiProxy downloaded 8 of 10 WU's. Then I got this message in the log:

"Error loadworkunit:java.lang.ClassCastException"

Maybe when my other client finished a WU (I copied over the one the sever was working on.) It will be able to connect...

amish

Comment

I'm still having problems with the proxy.
                              The client still says that it can't connect to the server.

Any more pointers??

I've checked that both the computers do see and can access each other on the network.

amish

Comment

Working...
                              X