• Show
Clear All

• I think i found ET or..

Mary Xmas! Wu:sers!
    Feed me !

ROFLMAO!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

All extremists should be taken out and shot.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

LOL ... nice one ...

on another note:

How come the massive flooding from Borgå, Finland recently ?
      What's up there ?
      Is that some sort of infiltration ?

Cheers,
      Maggi
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Are there many of us?
        NightSide is my cousin, if there are someone else here from Borgå (Porvoo) I have not noticed him!

Borgå is actualy a small town in Southern Finland about 45km from Helsinki, with a populatinon of ~50000 people! Hmmm 2 out of 50000 = 0.004% and 2 out of 7000 = 0.3% hehe!

Here is a link: http://www.porvoo.fi/en/enmatkailijanporvoo/index.html

------------------

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Hehe you asked for it

A long time ago...
          The Porvoo Castle was built on the hill and the town was named Borgå ("castle river") in Swedish.
          The Porvoo parish and the church originated in the 13th century. The church was first built of wood, later of stone. It was founded high on the hill to dominate the town.
          Six towns were established in Finland during the Middle Ages. Some of them grew to be towns without any official order having been issued. This was the case with Porvoo, which got the town rights after Turku in the 14th century. The story tells that in 1346 Maunu Eerikinpoika (Magnus Eriksson), then the King of Sweden, visited Porvoo and granted the town rights there and then.

The Town Prospered through Trade
          Porvoo was born at the junction of the sea and the river, a place where people from surrounding villages used to come to trade their merchandise. Goods from Europe travelled via Porvoo to the north, and people from the north brought furs and other commodities to Porvoo, to be transported via Tallinn to Central Europe.The wealthiest and most influential townsmen were merchants of German origin, burghers who were responsible for town planning. They also built a centre for local administration and trade activities, with a town hall and a market place.
          The riverside storehouses surrounded a medieval harbour into which salt and other products were imported. The full export rights of a staple town were first conceded to Porvoo as early as the 16th century. Since the rise of mercantilism in the 17th century, butter, timber, dried fish, linen and tar were items exported from Porvoo although tar had to be sold via Helsinki.

The Map of Porvoo from 1652.

The Cradle of National Culture
          In 1740 Porvoo had over 1600 inhabitants. For a few years it was the second biggest town in Finland. After the Uusikaupunki Peace (1721), Porvoo became a culturally significant town in Finland. The town of Viipuri was left behind the Russian border, and consequently, the Viipuri Diocese and the Viipuri Grammar School were transferred to Porvoo. The Porvoo Grammar School started in 1725. Some scholars even dreamed about a university in Porvoo. However, in the 18th century it took courage even to talk about expanding the university outside Turku. The oldest public library in Finland was opened in the Porvoo Grammar School in 1728.
          The Porvoo Diet 1809 - The Beginning of Autonomous Finland
          The 700-year marriage between Sweden and Finland ended after the Finnish War 1808-1809 when Finland was annexed to Russia as an autonomous Grand Duchy. Alexander I, the Czar of Russia, convened the Diet in Porvoo in 1809. This was an important cornerstone in the history of Finland, starting the progress towards independence. As a result of the Porvoo Diet, Finland was allowed to keep its religion, its constitution dating from the Swedish era, and the rights of its estates.

Alexander I

The Empire Town - the Emperor's Town
          The Empire-style part of Porvoo tells us about the era of Nicholas I, the Czar of Russia between 1825-55. This reactionary ruler wanted to get rid of the dense and flammable old town built under the Swedish rulers, to replace it with a regular and spacious Russian rectangular plan. Luckily, Old Porvoo was not touched, instead the town expanded to the south built according to the Empire-style St. Petersburgian plan. Architect Carl Ludwig Engel, who also drew the Senate Square area in Helsinki, was nominated the designer of new Porvoo. The most popular attraction in this Empire town is the home of the Finnish national poet Johan Ludvig Runeberg.
          Participating in the Rise of national Culture
          The process of becoming independent and the economic growth were advanced by the birth of national culture in the 19th century. The authors and other artists in Porvoo greatly contributed to this advancement. While in Porvoo, our national poet J.L. Runeberg wrote the words to the Finnish national anthem "Maamme" ("Vårt Land", "Our Country") and "Porilaisten marssi" (a military march).
          The publishing business started in Porvoo at the end of the 19th century. The publishing house then established is today the biggest publisher in the Nordic countries.

The best known of Porvoo's own artists is probably Albert Edelfelt, born in Kiiala manor in 1854. Edelfelt was especially enchanted by Old Porvoo with its narrow streets and the red river-bank outbuildings. Every summer for over 20 years, he travelled from Paris to paint in the Porvoo scenery. Ville Vallgren, the sculptor, won a gold medal for his "Christ's Head" in the World Fair in 1889. Walter Runeberg, son of J.L. Runeberg, was also an internationally recognized sculptor. Lennart Segerstråle, known for his monumental pieces, also worked in Porvoo in the beginning of the 20th century. One of the pioneers of Finnish design was Louis Sparre. During the early days of Finnish industrial art, the Porvoo-based Iris factory manufactured furniture designed by Sparre and ceramics designed by A.W. Finch.

The new Porvoo
          The City of Porvoo and the Rural Municipality of Porvoo were united in 1 January, 1997. The new municipality is called the City of Porvoo. With its combined resources, it is an increasingly attractive place for people and business. In the new Porvoo, the quality of town planning and environmental protection has high priority.

More than 43,000 inhabitants
          Porvoo has more than 43,000 inhabitants. Two thirds of them speak Finnish, one third Swedish as their first language. All municipal services are available in both languages.

A preliminary strategy
          "Porvoo is a developing and attractive centre in the province of eastern Uusimaa. It is a combination of old town culture, a living countryside, modern technology and a unique archipelago.
          The municipality offers comfortable housing in a variety of surroundings - countryside, traditional villages, urban areas.

Porvoo offers a good environment for business, and a good environment for recreation and leisure.

A stable quality of life and a harmonious development of business, environment and economy are the cornerstones of sustainable development and success.

Efficient, complete municipal service in two languages is our strength."
          In today's Porvoo, the past and the present merge in perfect harmony. The strata from different epochs can be discerned in the structure of the town. Porvoo is a dynamic town centre fostering culture and traditions which offers its inhabitants humane and pleasant surroundings.

The town of Porvoo has about 43 000 inhabitants and an area of 654 km2. The town is a thriving centre for the economic region of the eastern part of the province of Uusimaa. Porvoo is a bilingual town with about 35% of the inhabitants speaking Swedish as their mother tongue. More than half of the citizens of Porvoo gain their livelihood from trade and services, compared to a third who work in the industrial sector.

The traditions and structure of industry and commercial life are based on three vibrant industrial branches in Porvoo - the graphics, electrotechnical and petrochemical industries. The publishing house, Werner Söderström Osakeyhtiö, has the longest traditions within the graphics industry. The Ensto Group has specialized in the electrotechnical field as well as in automation and electronics. The oil refinery belonging to the national oil company Neste Oy and the petrochemical production plant of Borealis Polymers Oy are nowadays part of the modern profile of Porvoo.

Porvoo originally grew up as a trade centre and it continues to be an attractive focal point as a centre of business and commerce. The volume of retail trade makes Porvoo one of the bigger municipal centres. People from the wide surrounding area come to the town to do their shopping.

Porvoo is an attractive tourist destination and the importance of tourism is considerable both for the retail trade and the service sector. The Old Town provides one of its most colourful sights and tourist attractions. Old Porvoo is famous for its narrow lanes and brick-coloured riverside warehouses. In the Empire-style part of the town, the low wooden houses belong to the classical town plan where the streets form squares. It is here that the home of Finland's greatest poet, Johan Ludvig Runeberg, provides one of Porvoo's most popular tourist attractions.

------------------

Comment

.................LOL !..................

Feed me !

Comment

Originally posted by Guru:
              Are there many of us?
              NightSide is my cousin, if there are someone else here from Borgå (Porvoo) I have not noticed him!

Borgå is actualy a small town in Southern Finland about 45km from Helsinki, with a populatinon of ~50000 people! Hmmm 2 out of 50000 = 0.004% and 2 out of 7000 = 0.3% hehe!
              Where did the figure of 7,000 come from?

Paul.

Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

forum members

------------------

Comment

So Guru, how many people in Borga are related to you?

Comment

Working...
                  X