Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why's is my new Ghz so SLOOOOOOWWWW!!!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why's is my new Ghz so SLOOOOOOWWWW!!!??

Running seti on my new Dell Ghz here at work and can't figure out why I'm getting 7hr WU's?? Can anyone give me any clues??

TIA

amish
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Be glad!! 7 hours a WU, I would love to do that !! I got over 13 hours on my P3-450 and just over 9 hours on the office P3-733's

If everyone is so slow, Seti won't have that much traffic (they think) clogging up their servers. As they had about 50 persons every minute d/ling WU's and couldn't handle the bandwidth.

So instead of getting a leaner and quicker server, offering more output bandwidth, they invented the slow cruncher. It loads the same WU's, but just takes a lot longer to crunch that (added a lot of infinite loops, I guess ).

My guess is that their next cruncher will recommend you to have at least a Pentium 800, 194Mb, and a lot of 3D work going on in OGL on your 'puter
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

So, the new client is just that slow, huh??

Well that just sucks!

amish

Comment

What motherboard and CPU is in the computer and what is the CAS [memory speed] set at in BIOS?

Most of my WUs are done between 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 hours with my PIII @ 1GHz CAS2.

You can see what I crunched WUs at last week here: http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000748.html

Swing

[This message has been edited by Swing (edited 27 December 2000).]

Comment

Swing, is that with client 3.03? I didn't think anyone was getting times that good anymore...

------------------
          Andrew
          Carpe Cerevisi
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

It's just a standard Dell Dimension 4100 1ghz processor w/128mb PC133 ram.

All running at 133mz. Don't know the CAS setitng. I don't believe the bios has that setting, let alone allow me to change it. Stupid Dell POS!

It's running the 3.03 client.

amish

Comment

Yes Amish, those times seem normal for the 3.03 client, I doubt Swing is using it.

If you want me to test it out for you, I'll send you a postal address...UPS will do nicely

Paul.

Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I am still using version 3.00 client.

Comment

Working...
                X