• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeNome @ Home... wtf

Call me Lazy, and stupid.
    --
    Someone explain GeNome to me.
    In simple words and everything.

It has stats? Is it as easy to use as SETI?
    Im getting kind of tired of SETI, especially since all this shit has been happening. I would not mind running the GeNome project.

Can I just download a CLI like I can with SETI? what are the wu times ? I see that if I start now, I can make good numbers. Let me know all the info guys, tell me all! WWWAAAHHHOOO !!!

------------------
    I wasn't born, I was created.
    What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

Furthermore, If you start genome, and join a team later, do all you numbers get moved over? Can you change teams later on? do the wu's go from team to team? or do they stay on the team you crunched for like in seti ?

Do I use these standard servers and ports?

Comment

Yes, standart server and port are fine.
      Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Yes it has stats. It is a little more complicated than SETI since you have to enter a team account number through the program instead of just joining a team from a webpage like SETI. However, the WUs you crunched for a team stay there forever, they do not follow you, like it does in SETI.

WU times: Genome downloads one block of data and designs proteins from them. It runs through 30 sequences. One block of data takes anywhere from 24 hours to a week depending on your machine speed, but each block of data yields multiple WU credits. So, if you get 30 units of credit, and it takes 30 hours for the block of data to finish, essentially it is 1hr/WU

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Zyn:
          Call me Lazy, and stupid.
          --
          Someone explain GeNome to me.
          In simple words and everything.
          </font>
          Some selected quotes from GAH themselves:
          "Proteins, the molecular products encoded by genomes, are the functional units of all cellular machinery."
          "The goal of Genome@home is to design new genes that can form working proteins in the cell."
          "Some important applications of the Genome@home virtual genome protein design database:

* engineering new proteins for medical therapy
          * designing new pharmaceuticals
          * assigning functions to the dozens of new genes being sequenced every day
          * understanding protein evolution"
          <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">It has stats? Is it as easy to use as SETI?</font>
          It does have stats! See these pages:
          http://gah.stanford.edu/teamstats.html
          http://gah.stanford.edu/userstats.html
          http://genomeathome.stanford.edu/teams/MatroxUsers.html

However, I'm still unsure of whether we can do an advanced tracking a stat system like Martin does (so excellently ) with Seti.
          <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Im getting kind of tired of SETI, especially since all this shit has been happening. I would not mind running the GeNome project.

Can I just download a CLI like I can with SETI?
          </font>
          In fact, it's CLI only at the moment!
          <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">

what are the wu times ? I see that if I start now, I can make good numbers. Let me know all the info guys, tell me all! WWWAAAHHHOOO !!!
          </font>
          Well, the WU times are rather long, but you get lots of credit for what you do, because a WU is very flexible. In fact, you can crunch on a single WU for months at a time (I think), because you are designing random genes each time you start processing!

This means that even during extended server outages, or similar situations, you can keep crunching, and accumulating credit.

In conclusion, GAH do a lot of things better than Seti do, partially due to the way the WU's are used (outwith Seti's control) however.

The stats are there, but not as good as we are used (just a basic ranking system).

And the science it's involved in is biology - not my preferred area (I'm much more a physicist!), but it's probably advancing the human race more than Seti ever will (maybe we can even develop an antibody to that evil virus those aliens are going to bring

Paul.
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Ok, starting from the top... (...again )

I'm lazy too...
            <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">The goal of Genome@home is to design new genes that can form working proteins in the cell. Genome@home uses a computer algorithm (SPA), based on the physical and biochemical rules by which genes and proteins behave, to design new proteins (and hence new genes) that have not been found in nature. By comparing these "virtual genomes" to those found in nature, we can gain a much better understanding of how natural genomes have evolved and how natural genes and proteins work.</font>
            It does have stats. Team, individual and internal team. Of course, they aren't as good as the ones at seti.matroxusers.com, but someone will probably program some good stat page soon as the interest in the project increases.

Ease of use is relative. It's a no brainer, fully automatic, like seti@home, but I have had a lot of problems passing the firewalls. It's still in the developping stages, but the new client (0.93) has a lot of issues resolved.

Clients can be downloaded, but must be installed with an installer. I don't exactly what files go where, but it isn't like the S@H cli, where your download the executable and roll... this might make a difference on WinNT machine where you don't have a lot of privileges (like at school ). It probably works, but someone back me up here please.

Wu times are variable, typically 1-2 days on an ageing machine. Different wus take longer or shorter to process, but the points you get from them are a function of that. there are 30 intermediate checkpoints, and the programs saves itself upon passing each checkpoint.

One of the real advantages is indeed the fact that the project started only about a month ago. Hence, the isn't anybody with a 1000000000wu advantage and the competition is real, since MU is passing people weekly and not yearly .

A good program to use with g@h is GenomeVoyeur, which gives you some infos on the wu you are processing and estimates the time left until the next checkpoint and end of the WU. I used it a little while ago to get an idea how long it takes for diffenent wus to process. If some still has it, it would be nice to slap a link here for others to try it out.

Got anymore questions? Send 'em in!

Fred

[This message has been edited by -=Narcissus=- (edited 03 March 2001).]

Comment

Just to make this into perfect material for Jord's FAQ's , I thought I'd add some more links!

Genome@home website
              Signup and Download
              GAH's own FAQ
              And early info page I've put up
              Early beta of DistComp@MURC? Maybe, just maybe

And of course, possibly the main thing, once you've downloaded the client and have your username, put in 633096920 as the team number, so you'll be crunching for MURC! (note: username can't be altered, and is case sensitive!)

Regards,

P.
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I just started crunching. But I didnt join Team MURC. Can I change half way through my wu ?

Do I have to do this for all my cli's ?

Comment

D*mn I knew that was going to happen...

Oh well, I'll leave mine there for my effort.

Fred

One more note, if you change teams, the wus stay for that team, unlike s@h.

Comment

Im not on any team right now, I pressed 0.
                    I want to change.... HOW !?!?!?!

I closed and re-opened the genome cli.
                    It wont let me change teams.

what the hell

Comment

Paul... check Genome FAQs

Okay?

Dude
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Welcome aboard Zyn!

You can change your account number by editing the ghclient.cfg file in your g@h directory.

I'm not sure if that first wu will go to MatroxUsers though.

I you want to save yourself some trouble while installing g@h on different machines, install the program and the copy the ghclient.cfg file into the program's directory. It'll save you some time and a headache or two!

Fred

Comment

Zyn, the easy way of doing it is quit the ghclient, go to the genome directory and delete the ghclient.cfg ... then start up the ghclient.exe again

Jord.
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

And don't forget to install the bizarre browser plugins to view the genes you helped to create online. Very cool...
                            Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Working...
                            X