Moving on up, moving on over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving on up, moving on over

Well, this wonderful SETI@Home run is just about over. As I type this I'm dumping my SetiQ for one of the last times. It should be enough to push me past Team Barbarian, up into Third place. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hold it. My output is about to drop to a few WU's a day (though I doubt I'll jump off the SETI Ship and go over to GNOME).

Why? Well, for the past several months I've had access to many, many machines at my job. That actually jumped up (almost doubled) a week or two ago when another guy left... But then the SETI outage hit. Yesterday (Wednesday) I found out that this Friday will be my last day. I've been working as a "temp" employee and my 1 year (non-renewable) contract expires the middle of next month. That, I was expecting. I was not expecting my manager to decided to hire a full time replacement so soon, especially not without letting me know that they were interviewing for MY position! I know the guy that they're hiring to replace me, and they're making a BIG mistake! 0 experience vs my wealth of experience. What can you do?

That being said, I'm going to be down to just my home machines pretty soon. You can bet I'll optimize and tweak the heck out of them now even to shave a few minutes off of a WU. I am going to switch the machines here at work over to run direct through the proxy server (instead of through SetiQ). Maybe I'll get some WUs for a while, maybe not.

Edit: I ran the idea of leaving the SETI client running on the other machines by the "senior" guy in the lab. It's not going to happen.

Just thought I'd let all you guys know what's going on a bit ahead of time...

Soon to be Jobless,

Charles

[This message has been edited by CharlesWA (edited 09 March 2001).]
    A few computers, some with Matrox stuff...I'll add details later.

Sorry to hear this! But, why not jump over to Genome? There aren't teams ahead of us with 5,000,000,000 WUs, so we have a good chance to be #1

Comment

Tempting, very tempting. Maybe that's what the Dual P-150 will work towards!
      A few computers, some with Matrox stuff...I'll add details later.

Comment

Working...
      X