Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which flavor of windows is fastest with Genome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which flavor of windows is fastest with Genome?

Guyver's post about changing back to single process/WU made me wonder which windows is fastest. I would like to test it but my machines- Tbird 1200/266-winme, dual p3 800's-win2k, Tbird 1000-win98se, and dual p3 550-win2k are to varied to do any comparison.
    BTW- I definitely agree that single processes/WU are faster- I tried it on my dual 800 which has 512 mb ram and my 1 gig athlon with 512 mb ram and the speed diff was very noticeable. I know there aren't any util's out yet for genome but I also haven't seen many posts discussing tweaking either. I have also noticed that minimizing ( GV has that nice bug right now where it hides my client permenantly) really seems to slow down the process, anyone else notice this?

Pete

------------------
    Stuck in Indiana with a bug in my banana.....

I have a Cel850 running genome on W2K (from time to time) and I have the genome client running permanently on my P2-233 linux box.
    My impression is that the Cel850 takes about 7-8 hours to complete a WU (~17 units)
    But the slower linux box is not doing too bad. It is my impression that the old P2 is doing about one WU per 20 hours.
    I have observed that the client allocates app. 12MB permanently when running on W2k, while the linux client uses between 4-16MB, depeding on how far the process has come - I believe.
    Some people are reporting that multiple ghclient processes in parallel improves production. This does not seem to be the case for Linux, here multiple processes sets back the production to close to nothing.

Comment

Well, I've only got win2k, so I can't compare. As for hiding the client, I used FireDaemon and this worked. I don't think I got a significant speed-increase or decrease.

As for two instances/cpu, I tried this too, but didn't see a marked difference in cpu-time.

Comment

Working...
      X