X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genome@home ver. 0.98 test released.

As stated, goto
    http://genomeathome.stanford.edu/new.html#latest

Note, previously downloaded wu can't be done with this new client.

Thanks Rattle.
    Mine just crashed at 28/30 anyway... Iteration out of bounds

I'll try this version !!
    Wonder if it works with GenoScan V1.1.2.

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 18 May 2001).]
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

A couple of quick findings:
      If you're using -nonet you don't need to crunch to 1/30 before exiting. Great for offline-machines. If you don't use -nonet, it downloads new wu as before.
      If you tries running a second instance in the same directory, genome@home asks if this is correct.

Comment

What's new in version 0.98?

Currently a test version only.

Both the Windows and Linux versions are new for version 0.98. This version of the client will not process pre-0.98 work units. When upgrading, it is best to allow an old client to finish a work unit, then install the new version.

The client has a number of additional data integrity checks which verify the integrity of the work unit before it's processed and before the results are returned. The identifying information for each work unit is more closely tied to the work unit and maintained by checksum verifications. The client will reseed a rerun work unit with a random, rather than incremented, 32-bit seed. All these changes were designed to eliminate the possibility of duplicating work units or fabricating false results. The client will also warn the user if it was shut down improperly or if another instance is already running in the same directory.

The client maintains a rudimentary screen log of it's progress (scrlog.gah), with timestamps at each step. This logging system may be changed/augmented in the future.

A number of new features have been added in the form of command-line flags; these also appear separately in the Windows Start menu.

-config: Runs the initial configuration step of the client, to allow users to change their username, etc.
        -upload: Uploads all completed results, then shuts down.
        -clear: Deletes any corrupt work units which are crashing the client, and restarts.
        -nonet: Reruns a current work unit indefinitely, without attempting to make a network connection.
        The client will attempt to get new work more often than previous versions. After three failed attempts, it will try to rerun any current work units. The wait-time between get work attempts and put work attempts has been reduced to two minutes.

As a way of better saying it Rattle

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Well, after running seti@home & think I knows all isn't necessary working as it should.

BTW, even then you're running genome@home, you can run filter.exe. It re-filters the gene and stops. I don't know if this can screw up processing.

Comment

Sure, in the mean time k1l, the unknown whoever, has passed me and I'm back at 34

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

When you're asked by the new client if you want to continue, type the full yes, otherwise it won't work !!

Jord.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

I downloaded a wu for the new client, and let filter.exe run the first 3 loops, after which i quit and startede the normal client, so far no problems. After I started the client again it wanted to connect to G@H to get a new wu, what is going on?
                System:
                Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
                AMD Thunderbird 800
                SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
                Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
                LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
                IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
                Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
                WinME
                directx 8.0a
                384mb pc133

Comment

I also stopped the client after 3 sequences.
                  Upon restarting it wanted to connect to get a new wu, so I let it. It downloaded a new wu, filtered it, then started the original (I think) wu at sequence 4. I don't know why it downloaded a new wu and filtered it.

Comment

I don't think it's downloading a new WU... as the .93 and .94 client would download something even if you had sent in a result when restarting the client at an iteration greater than 1.

Maybe what it's doing is downloading the same WU you got and then filtering it to be sure that your original WU isn't corrupted due to a crashed client?

[EDIT] THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN EDITED BY THE FIRST TIER GRAMMER POLICE ) [/EDIT]

[EDIT] THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN CHANGED BY A RENEGADE ENGLISH TEACHER It's It's NOT its [/EDIT]

[This message has been edited by cbman (edited 19 May 2001).]
                    AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                    AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                    Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                    Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

I've seen that redownloading of a unit as well, and I also found that the client is much slower in crunching. It's taking between 42 and 49 minutes per sequence now, whereas it used to be 30 minutes.

Oh well...

Jord.
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

*mandatory upgrade*, right?

mfg
                        wulfman
                        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                        "Lobsters?"
                        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Yes, it's "mandatory upgrade", but not before the real 0.98 is released.

Looking on the genomeathome message-forum, atleast the linux-version was missing something. The win-version probably has a wrong compiler-switch leading to the much slower times.

Comment

I eradicated the new genome client off of my harddrives, for it was crunching very slowly, and if I tried to quit the filter process after a reboot, the client crashed!!
                            Making me reboot yet again

I'm back at using 0.94, and until they make me using a higher client, I will be using this one. 3 units destroyed in one weekend, due to 2 bad units, and one bad client. Thanks Genome!!

Jord.
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Iteration out of bounds....

I just lost the new unit as well...

I'm going to kill myself
                              Or go back to ver.093 !!
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X