Weather @ Home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather @ Home?

Website for climateprediction.net, a volunteer computing project and the world’s largest climate modelling experiment

Looks like fun, I'll try it at home.
    chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Oh great! Another project to fragment the forum. Better a contributer I gues than not at all though.

Comment

Actually this one looks quite interesting and worthwhile...

... well, I'd have to say that as it looks like it's not only British but also heavily Oxford-influenced as well

I'll stick with DF for the moment though unless there is consensus to move the MURCers together
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Available harddisk space:Model needs 600MB free to allocate to this experiment.
        Ouch!

Comment

Uhm, I think I'll stick to the weather outside, not taking it inside.

As for MURC in unison move to one project, don't hold your breath. Since seti@home v3.03 was released, the crunchers has been more and more fragmented to different projects, with seti all the time being the largest group.

The most interesting is what will happen then BOINC is released and seti@home ends, probably later this year...
          I see sah_4.00_sparc-sun-solaris2.7 have appeared, so probably not long before beta-testers can start BOINC'ing seti-wu.

Comment

If we all would get together in DF we would be very competitive.

But it seems some don't trust the ones we're donating our cycles to.

Comment

I don't trust them anymore either, the only reason I'm still folding now is not for the project but for the MURC team, and realistically only until we reach top 10. To be honest, I don't know if (according to the way things are going) we can make that.

I may just "retire" now.

Comment

Well, I've put a couple of credits or whatever into DF, but haven't seen them since pace 2 or whatever started. Is they hidden away under some far-away link, or will they only show up if start crunching under new client?

BTW, Stanford is interested to use BOINC for folding@home. If they manages to get combined stats, this is an added plus for BOINC.

Comment

I've moved one machine over to weather prediction. Windows only from what I could gather, but a very professional and easy installer and client (automatically configures itself as a service if you want). Doesn't seem to want much net regular net access - I think their model is more about big blocks less often (like after some weeks (!)).

The client is fun though - including a nice rotating globe to see your weather patterns change from the 19th century

Not sure about the stats yet, and there's no facility for groups (yet) so maybe give it some time but this one does look quite good

And given the involvement of Oxford Uni and the Met Office, I would trust these guys with "ownership" of data. Especially as a fair proportion in the project team photos have beards

Maybe we could get Mr Ellis (dialup permitting) to start crunching on this one?

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
                    I don't trust them anymore either, the only reason I'm still folding now is not for the project but for the MURC team, and realistically only until we reach top 10. To be honest, I don't know if (according to the way things are going) we can make that.

I may just "retire" now.
                    Well, the way your recruitment effort is going, we'll be lucky to hang on to 15th

Comment

Originally posted by Rattledagger
                      Well, I've put a couple of credits or whatever into DF, but haven't seen them since pace 2 or whatever started. Is they hidden away under some far-away link, or will they only show up if start crunching under new client?

BTW, Stanford is interested to use BOINC for folding@home. If they manages to get combined stats, this is an added plus for BOINC.
                      All the Team Statistics - Phase I are here

Comment

Thought I'd ask about this one in the Lounge:

Comment

I don't like those statistics, I'm almost last there.

Comment

Working...
                          X