No announcement yet.

We are now ranked top 400!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once had a very weird similar behaviour, and mine was caused by... a stuck reset button: disk spin up, fans turn, but somehow everything stays black and no beeps. The button looked fine on the outside, but internally it was stuck. I know it is a long shot, but you never know. I discovered my problem by accident: I wanted to remove every part, and suddenly the reset button shot through the room.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Most motherboard deaths will not even spin up the fans from my experience (killed my original Dual MP2200+ Athlon and a recent i7 920, both strangely with the motherboards at the same time). The fact that the fans are spinning suggests it might be a salvageable situation. Any error codes or consistent BIOS beeps that can be heard?

J1NG

Comment

pulled off the reset switch , no difference.
        Tried a 850watt PSU, still no boot. The 750 watt it had happily ran my main machine...Only thing I can think of now is a blind bios flash, but I think I am clutching at straws there.

Have found a cheap hp xw9300 workstation that should take all the bits...

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman View Post
          pulled off the reset switch , no difference.
          Tried a 850watt PSU, still no boot. The 750 watt it had happily ran my main machine...Only thing I can think of now is a blind bios flash, but I think I am clutching at straws there.
          Just a thought: if the computer was unused for quite some time, bios battery may have run down and corrupted the bios (also happened to me). I assume you tried a bios reset using the jumpers...?

If there is nothing connected (no memory, no videocard, ...), just PSU, does it do anything? Ok, it should not boot without those things, but it ought to give some error codes (beep or led).
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
            You've got to be joking LOL
            Indeed I did, anything for our team! lol
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Dead motherboards can still spin fans, seen that happen before. It seems like your motherboard retired.
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

So there we have it. 2 new Xeons E5462 with 2 new cpu fan, Evercool dual bearing 5000RPM 67CFM and two lentil sized drops of arctic silver 5.

I sold all my unused electronics to buy all that and I'm really REALLY tapped out.

There's not much moe I can do to help the team from here on except make sure the machine is up and running.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

tried all that... gave up.

Managed to get a hp xw9300 for $75 , have put all my stuff and it seems ok.
                  Can't get my old windows 8 install to boot, well that was a long shot anyway.
                  They both have the same nvida chipset, but the new one has a couple of lsi scsi raid controllers integtrated.

Might have to skip the "shortcuts" and just reinstall, probably be quuicker ion the end.

So I'll I have bit more spare soon...

Comment

Working...
                  X