win2k / GL performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win2k / GL performance

i have seen posts claiming usable (40+ fps) framerates using win2k and the latest powerdesk win2k beta, however, When i tried it, i got 20.1 fps on the 'high quality' setting of q3. I have a regular G400 and a dual celeron 550.. I didnt test it in single cpu mode, since the mouse was all jumpy with out r_smp 1 turned on.

The people who posted seemed to have p3s or athlons, and while those cpus have their SIMD instructions, a dual celery 550 should be faster than that.
    I get in the neighborhood of 42 fps currently in win98.

Did i miss some setting? should i be disabling vsync? what can i do to get usable framerates?

i tried it on nt4 and got 20.3 fps with dual cpus, and 22.4 with a single cpu - i had perfmon running and it looked like the cpus were taking turns, one would spike, then the other, never both high at the same time

nufan
    win98/win2k/linux
    Dual celeron 366@550
    abit bp6
    128mb ram
    9gb udma/66
    18gb udma/66(running on the udma/33 controller)
    g400 32mb DH
    yamaha 4416e 4x4x16 cdrw
    creative 2x dvd drive
    mx300sound + mx25 digital out (a3d digital sound, baby)
    generic ne2000 isa netcard

Don't expect dual processor will out perform single processor like 2x, smp will give you more stablity rather than speed.

I can download huge file, same time playing mp3, burning a cd and unrar huge file without crashing (dual processor + w2k) while testing this with single only on another machine (w2k) it crash 50% of the time.

Comment

Working...
    X