PD 5.52: pdesk.exe still using 20% CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD 5.52: pdesk.exe still using 20% CPU

I can't believe it: they have done it again! pdesk.exe is still using 20% CPU time occasionally. I haven't found out yet when and when not.

Hi Pat,

20% is quite a hit to take....are there specific features of Powerdesk that you regularly use/need? I don't use any of them, so I just disable PD at start up.

Comment

I had the same problem with the previous release of drivers (as had a lot of other people, too). It comes and goes. It was 20% with with my old P3 450, and it is 20% with my new P3 600!

The only thing I use is this saving/restoring of the desktop icons when you change the desktop resolution.

Comment

AFAIK, the save and restore icons will work even with PD disabled. Remember, though, that even with PDesk not launching on start up the PDkernel will load when entering 3D mode unless it is actually disabled. If you don't want to disable PDesk, use the PDesk.ex_ and PDKernel.dl_ file from one of the previous releases in conjunction with the 5.52 drivers.

------------------
        "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."
        "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

Look for the priority level of pdesk.exe. Rain, waterfall or cpuidle are using 100% cpu time, but that doesn't affect performance. If the priority is low, it's not a real problem. If it's hi (>9), disable it. On my win98 it is set to priority 9 (medium), but it isn't using 20% cpu.

------------------
          Moprez,
          Technology Rules.
          (K6-III 428MHz, 192M ram, FIC VA-503A, G400 D/H 32M, SB128 pci)
          Moprez,
          I dream of Gigahertz.
          (K6-III 428MHz, 256M ram, FIC VA-503A, G400 D/H 32M, SB128 pci)

Comment

In windows98 try the reinstall the driectx.
            I install the directx and powerdesk no locked 20-30% cpu time.
            Sorry my bad english...

Comment

Try this reghack which one MURCer posted a little while back:

Search through the registry for the string 'PDEnable' (it might appear several times) and change it from either '1' to '0', or from "01 00 00 00" to "00 00 00 00" depending on your Powerdesk version.

This worked for me, and hopefully your problem can also be rectified by this.

Comment

If problems with other locked programs try to download the taskinfo 2000 from www.iarsn.com

Comment

Working...
                X