X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP product activation cracked: totally, horribly, fatally

read about it here!

Pfffft.

As usual, the Register exaggerates, falsifies, and bullshits their way into my top-ten list of all time idiotic sites... topped only by ... err ... ok to be honest, the Register is my all-time most idiotic site.

Here's the problems.

1. It hasn't REALLY been worked around. You have to know how that particular file works, AND make some pretty icky changes to your system (tell it that you are running a laptop, which causes all kinds of power, performance, etc. problems for instance).

2. They don't tell you how to do it, just that some hardware tech lab did it. Yay. I did it too. It cost me $10, for a preview ID. Woo!

3. It's the usual Register nonsense. Weekly they post a "WPA beaten for good" story, and to date nobody but determined pirates and hackers has managed to get their copy to last more than 14 days.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Not even the legit users

Originally posted by Gurm
      and to date nobody but determined pirates and hackers has managed to get their copy to last more than 14 days.

- Gurm

Comment

But it´s obvious that it´s going to be cracked, I mean, evertything is crackable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
          Not even the legit users

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Ant-10
          XPUsers-love

Rags

Comment

Actually, although Ant was being a shit, it is true that in many of the releases to date, legitimate users were being locked out.

Even in RC1, fully 50% of the time you hit "activate" and it says "unable to activate at this time"... even with the phone code or the manual code.

But yes, of course it's crackable. It's just not going to be cracked in the way that people have tried so far - i.e. "replace these three files and run some registry keys and change some system settings and delete the licdll.dll and..."

When the serious crackers (from the serious warez teams) get their hands on the final incarnation of WPA it won't last an hour. But until then it is pretty solid, no matter WHAT the Shit-gister reports.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

And then it will only be a computer tech's nightmare and not the big pirate protecting scheme that microsoft says!

It was never meant as a way of stopping pirates, it was a way for microsoft to let everyone (that uses XP)know that they have shortened the leach and can yank it any time!

It's a Hit in the face to all of us who bought a license!

If I pay money to use a piece of "software" why should I then be chained to the first specifik machine I install it on?

If then that computer gets slagged by Lightning, microsofts seems to reason that that "payment" ("license") is forfeit and that I should pay again!

I have bought a license for a text editing app.

It has (in my eyes) a fair license:

It states that:
              Texturizer may either be used by yourself only, on one or more computers, or
              installed on a single workstation used non-simultaneously by multiple
              people, but not both.

Translation: I can legaly install it on both of my computers as long as i dont type on both keyboards at the same time!

In microsofts world I would have to pay twice to use it on both my computers!
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

C'mon Technoid... the OS is a far different animal than, say Word, or something.

If you have both computers on at the same time, you're breaking the license agreement.

I don't care for the strong-arm tactics of MS on this one either, but at least be reasonable when you rant against it.

<edit> Though I do agree with you that I should be able to move from machine to machine w/o asking MS for permission... </edit>
                PIII 550@605
                IWill Motherboard VD133
                VIA Chipset
                512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                DirectX 8.0a
                SB Live! Value
                8x DVD (Toshiba)
                6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                3Com CMX Cable Modem
                Optiquest V95 19"
                HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                Microtek flatbed scanner
                Intellimouse Explorer
                Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

The nice thing about license agreement we've got a work the activation code doesn't apply . Even better you can use the programs at home as well. The only problem is if I leave work I'm supposed to remove it. It'll be a Bummer when I get to sixty five and retire won't it.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I must say that WPA may stop some peole, but in the end it will be useless. When RTM hits there will be a master key like there is with Office XP that doesn't require you to register at all...or there will be a coporate enterprise edition that doesn't have WPA enabled, becuase there's not a single enterprise tech department in the world that would pay people to sit at each desk and go through registration for 15000 computers!

In the end, all WPA will do is stop Joe User who knows a friend who bought it. When he tries to register it for the 6th time M$ will give him the shaft and he'll haft to go get his own.

Jammrock
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I've heard a rumour that microshaft are going to make this activation code a little les stringent.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I predict that if Microcock doesn't completely relent on this whole idea (like Intel did with the PIII serial number ID), I (and a lot of other people) will not be using it at all, period. I paid for Windows 95 and 98, and might possibly buy 2000 now (to stave off near-future obsolescence), but with the current scheme in place, no way will I get XP anywhere but (possibly) usenet, once its final version is completely cracked.

Whoops.. forgot about all the sad people who will buy an OEM computer with this crap preinstalled. Well folks, it's time to get computer literate or be anally raped by Bill Gates.

Comment

First it was gas prices, now it comes to this!

eXPerience the crap!
                          Titanium is the new bling!
                          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                          X