Crapist hardware you ever owned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, let's see....:
    - Asus VT3400TNT gfx-board. Fast but hey, what's that message on the screen saying, I can't read it! Together with Asus' CRAPPY drivers (esp. capture) it made the card horrible.
    - Mitsumi 2x CDRom (one of the very few hardware pieces that died early on me, besides it had various problems with all kinds of CDs)
    - AtariST
    - Creative Soundblaster Live! Platinum - well I HAVE to add this one for it's inferior soundquality, although much of its annoying things are due to crappy drivers (so it's both, a winner in the crappy HW and the crappy SW awards )

(I'd like to add the P-IV here as well, but as this might cause lots of discussion, I'll leave it out...)
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

An M3D... by Matrox
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Trident 1MB PCI vid card. It worked crappily for a couple of years until it fried itself in my new P2-350. It worked badly in my P100, but couldn't handle the wicked speed of the 350. That's about the time I discovered the joy of Matrox
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

The whole computer Amstrad 1640
          XT 4.77mhz and 10(??)Mhz,
          40MB MFM Miniscribe 3650 (RLL card to get 60 MB)
          640K of ram
          CGA monitor
          EGA graphics Adaptors
          Battery backed up cmos (couple of pen light batteries that when the went flat the whole pc would slow down, take em out and it was fine)

Home built 300 - 1200/75 modem that the pc needed a patch to work in 1200/75 mode because the bios wasn't programed to cope with it

Dan
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

5 Western Digital hard drives.

All <a href="http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/op/heads/opCrashes-c.html">head crashes</a>.

Comment

hmmm... tough call

contenders for the award:
              - Videologic Sonic Storm PCI (ESS Maestro-1 chipset). Videologic _NEVER_ released updated drivers, and the original ones conflicted with my 4x Plextor SCSI Plexwriter (!!!!!).
              - DFI P3BV+ (or something like that). Quite a nice board other than that it contained the VIA MVP3 chipset.... welcome to VIA hell...
              - Hercules Terminator Beast (S3 Savage). Buggy hardware design coupled with the non-standard VIA AGP implementation.... resulted into a lot of CRASHes (opengl has never worked for more than 1 minute with that combination)
              - Diamond Multimedia MonsterSound MX100 (no win2k drivers ever), though it probably was released a bit early to expect that. However, it's more Diamond's refusal of ever writing updated drivers when needed badly that I'm complaining about, with all their products).

of these contenders would probably give the award to the VIA MVP3, which has given me the most headaches. Videologic Sonic Storm as close second.

Comment

Cyrix 233mmx personal foot warmer
                Tandy printer from radio shack

Guru, my BE6-II wasone of my favorite, see below
                jim
                System 1:
                AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                Epox 8K7A
                2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                SBLIVE 5.1
                Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                3Com Hardware Modem
                Teac 20/10/40 burner
                Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

CPU - AMD PR200
                  MOBO - PC Chips (Any I have touched)
                  SOUND - Some No Name One that Had on Onboard SCSI controller but didn't have drivers for windows 95
                  Video - QDI Intel I740 (didn't even work in Standard VGA mode) - Second place goes to the pile of rejected S3 Cards on my workbench
                  Hard Drive - Quantum Bigfoots
                  CD-Roms - 24X Acer that only runs at around 2X and won't read most burned CD's unless you are in windows.
                  Modem - Any Software Crap No-name brand Winmodem

That isn't 100% what I think.. but its all I can remember at the moment.
                  AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                  AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                  Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                  Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Christ theres a lot of shit out there.

Pcchips motherboards now they're pooh. I forgot about them.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Hmm good one...

Hardware: I've seen tons of Western Digital hard Drives Die and get RMA between my own use and at one job I had. Oddly enough I would still use them because they have a great RMA process .

Printers: Epson printers....I had nothing but troubles with these guys....give me an HP inkjet any day of the week.

Software: Hmm windows 3.0 is a stand out here and any new OS MS has out for the first 6 months (only reason is it takes that long to have a good mature/stable driver for that OS)

Game: for some reason outpost from Serria is sticking out in my head...

I think the hardest thing about this that forget about the bad stuff or I'm just lucky and get good stuff when I buy it!

Scott
                      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

GT98 Happy Birthday. Sorry you've had trouble with them, but I have to defend Epson printers. Provided you don't try to refill the cartridges, and use them regularly, they have always been great for me. way better than any HP I've ever supported.

As to the rest, no arguments. Esp PC Chips mobos
                        FT.

Comment

Ooh, I forgot my old Jaz drive, and not to mention my HP 820Cse printer....what a POS!

And my Samsung 8500 cell phone with Sprint service.

b
                          Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Packard Hell computer (reason why I started to learn how to troubleshoot computers so ying yang kinda thing

Rockwell Modem

Seagate 1gig HD lasted half a year totally fubar
                            DFI NFIIUltra 400
                            756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
                            Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
                            Windows XP pro
                            msn messenger id: gchisel
                            Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

Worst of all I've had:

MB: Intel Atlantis combo mainboard (built-in audio & ATI video). Don't even ask....

CPU: Cyrix. 'nuff said.

Chipset: VIA MVP-3

Audio: not even CLOSE....SoundBlaster Live! (aka: SB Undead). Poor playback, bus hogging, lousy sound quality, crappy drivers since day one etc. etc. etc.

Video: most every ATI board I've ever owned.

Capture: the AIW's I've owned dropped frames as often as a hooker drops her drawers.

Modem: any WinModem you care to mention.

HDD: Connor. Just thinking of those POS's makes my skin crawl. Seagates are a close 2nd.

Removable storage: ZIP-100. Does "click of death" strike a nerve?

Printer: Mannesman Talley MX-80 w/film ribbon. YECCHHH.

Software: Too many to list

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Crappiest computer :- 16K Atari 400 - it was returned once and the replacement caught fire 1 week oput of warranty! (Loved my Atari ST though)

Crappiest video - A Gainward Intel i740.... I bought 10 for a client (he had speced them) I had to replace ALL of them by the time the Punters warranty had expired.

Worst car, 1982 Ford Fiesta....

RedRed
                                Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Working...
                                X