Has anyone Seen Vanilla Sky??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone Seen Vanilla Sky??

I got taken out to the movies last night by the GF and she wanted to Vanilla Sky. I wasn't too keen on seeing it since I thought it was gonna be some sappy "Chicky" Flick.

Boy was I ever wrong...the movie has to be one of the most Mind Blowning experances I've ever seen....its alot like the movie with Bruce Wills and that little kid in it...whos name ecaspes me now!

Anyone seen it yet?

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

The Bruce Wills movie your thinking of is 'The Sixth Sense'

"Bannira sukai" is one of the few movies being released here at about the same time as the states, but at $20USD for a ticket I think I'll wait for a few reviews form other people

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I saw the movie, and I thought it was a good time. It wasn't mind-blowing for me (it takes a sensory overload like <I>American Psycho</I> or <I>8mm</I> for my head to really hurt) but I liked it pretty well. It was worth my $, but it's only worth seeing once. It keeps you guessing/clueless the whole time, but if you went in knowing how it ended, it wouldn't be much fun.
      The movie got pretty bad reviews, though. It seems a lot of that though is from reviewers who saw the original Spanish film, which is supposed to be a much finer piece of cinema.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

yea, I saw it too, and it frigged with my brain too. Wierd for sure.
        AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

re: Vanilla Sky

Wombat,

Moriarty at AICN has the following to offer:

But when I recently found myself arguing with someone who called [Vanilla Sky] an "abomination," I asked them if the opinion of the original director would mean anything to him. "Sure," he said, "and I bet he hates it." Well, it just so happens that [director of the original "Open Your Eyes"] Amenebar released an official statement about the new movie, and I wanted to reproduce it here, since Vinyl Films was kind enough to pass it along:

"When I learned, quite some time ago now, that Cameron Crowe was going to write and direct the film based on Open Your Eyes with Tom Cruise in the leading role, I felt honored. Now that I have seen Vanilla Sky, I couldn't be more proud. Cameron has all my respect and admiration. Respect, for having plumbed the deepest meaning both of the story and its characters and, might I add, the underlying philosophy of the work. Admiration, for having sought new viewpoints and a fresh approach to the mise-en-scene, giving the film his own unmistakable touch. Vanilla Sky is as true to the original spirit as it is irreverent towards its form, and that makes it a courageous, innovative work. I think I can say that, for me, the two projects are like two very special brothers. They have the same concerns, but their personalities are quite different. In other words, they sing the same song but with quite different voices: one likes opera, and the other likes rock and roll.

Alejandro Amenabar"

Hey, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab. VANILLA SKY. Already, it's become an intensely divisive subject for film fans. Some people have really responded to Cameron Crowe's remake of the arthouse hit OPEN YOUR EYES,...

Cheers, Pelle

Comment

I was bored last night and was checking out the Reviews on Yahoo last night about this movie..and it seems either people loved the movie or hated it.

Which brings me to this..people raved over how good American Beauty was...I got it on tape a couple months ago...and was like, What the hell are theyt raving about? it was an ok movie at best and I could apprate some of it, but what made it so special?

Scott
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Didn't care for Vanilla Sky much at all (see spoiler below). I also didn't care for American Beauty as I thought it was too cynical for my tastes.

Of course, I'm still baffled at people who didn't love AI - I thought it was one of the best movies - really challenged my idea of compassion.

{spoiler!}

I guess I was irritated at the sci-fi aspect of the suspended hibernation. I thought I was going to see a movie about a possibly derranged man and felt blindsided by the twist at the end. If I knew there was a sci-fi twist going into it, maybe I'd feel differently. Just seemed like a cheap Star Trek 5-minute wrapup because they ran out of time.

{end spoiler}
              PIII 550@605
              IWill Motherboard VD133
              VIA Chipset
              512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
              G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
              DirectX 8.0a
              SB Live! Value
              8x DVD (Toshiba)
              6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
              Intel Pro/100+ NIC
              3Com CMX Cable Modem
              Optiquest V95 19"
              HP 812C Color Ink Jet
              Microtek flatbed scanner
              Intellimouse Explorer
              Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
              AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

I didn't think that AI was that great of a movie. For me, it focussed on the wrong story. I thought that Jude Law's character was much more interesting, and the plight of other robots who were being enslaved by humans who didn't realize or want to accept what the robots were. "They made us too smart, too quick, and too many." If any of you joined in on the Cloudmakers, you were given a glimpse of the world after <I>AI</I>, where there was even a resistance movement.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                X